Camshaft position sensor setting

xtrabolts

I replaced a 93 engine (180k) with a 90 engine (160k). It is supposed to be only a temporary situation so I can rebuild the 93 engine at my liesure, but the 90 has 175 pounds of compression, so I figure I can take my time. I did replace the head gaskets and timing chain for the heck of it.

I removed and replaced my camshaft position sensor, but couldn't find a tool to set it with and the Chilton maanual has got to be the worst manual on the planet. Their drawing wasn't too bad, I hope, since that is all I had to go by. From the drawing it appears that the vane is in line with the centerline of the cover and together these need to be 30 degrees from the face of the engine when the crankshaft is 26 degress after tdc on the compression stroke. Is that correct? Is there another way to set it up?

Oh, check this out, if you can believe it. I figured I could just find 26 degress atc on my engine I pulled out, mark where the sensor was and just swap sensors, but I couldn't find 26 degrees atc on the pulled engine. You won't guess why and I know you guys are going to say I am crazy, but 26 degrees atc wasn't atc. When my crankshaft said TDC it was BDC. That's right, Bottom Dead Center. If someone left out the Woodruff (?) key, or whatever it is called, what chance would they have of getting the crankshaft dampner 180 degrees off? Before you go there, yes I am 100 per cent correct,and it was no optical illusion.

Maybe the engine was assembled on a Monday...

If your crankshaft markings dont agree with the rest of the engine, you might have a bad balancer. When they fail the outer ring with the markings will turn on the inner hub. As for the sensor, I would just get the correct tool for alignment and be done with it.

Unless your balancer has failed and the outer ring has spun out of position (like mine did), it can't be bolted on 180 wrong. One of the four holes is offset so it only bolts on one way.

Back