intercooler gasket rings ? wont stay on!

Spider

is it posible to put these rings on and the get the tube on and tighten it down ?

i spent 20 mins trying to get one rubber ring to stay on but it keeps rolling off no matter what things i tried. :(

What rings are you talking about. You either use the stock type compressible teflon tape, gold RTV or Texas Thunderbird's reuseable gaskets.

I'm more than sure that the O-rings are for the flanges on the IC tubes that go at the end of the threads.

All what Jim said to use is fine, but Texas Thunderbirds IC gaskets are the best bet.

www.texasthunderbirds.com

From George's stash... O-rings are for the inner collar that retains the existing collar.
sctoprg2.jpg

ok so they dont go here lol :eek: i was thinkin theres like no way these things are going to go on... :p

thanks for the pic, without it i wouldnt know where to put them :)

Last edited:
Teflon Gaskets

I'm patiently awaiting my gaskets from "Texas Thunderbirds" and my ported exhaust manifolds!!

Spider said:
ok so they dont go here lol :eek: i was thinkin theres like no way these things are going to go on... :p

thanks for the pic, without it i wouldnt know where to put them :)

Toss those orings in the trash and get a tube of Permatex copper RTV (orange) or some of Wynn's gaskets.

David

Permatex Ultra-copper: Tube says assemble immediately. Fully cures in 24 hours. I think I waited 1-2 hours.

I've also used the plain red permatex.

90blkbrd said:
Permatex Ultra-copper: Tube says assemble immediately. Fully cures in 24 hours. I think I waited 1-2 hours.

I've also used the plain red permatex.

I've started and raced the car imediantly after bolting stuff on, but it's better if you give it a few hours.

David

O-Ring???????????

Mike8675309 said:
O-rings are for the inner collar that retains the existing collar.
There's suppose to be an O-Ring in there? When I took my raised top apart, there was no O-Ring. When I put it back together, I used 2 wraps of pink teflon tape on the threads. Used Wynns famous gaskets everywhere else.

68COUGAR

what are the advantages of these texas thunderbird gasket strips compared to silicone? ive never had a leak with silicone on these IC tubes, ever. even where the top goes to the blower ive used rtv without leaks car ran great!!!!

i would have to imagine there would be some shrinkage/leakage over time with these strips because they just butt together and that seems like a bad idea

What Strips?

22lbsofboost said:
what are the advantages of these texas thunderbird gasket strips compared to silicone? i would have to imagine there would be some shrinkage/leakage over time with these strips because they just butt together and that seems like a bad idea
The advantage comes if you ever break open the IC tubes. With Wynns gaskets you simply bolt everything back together. With RTV, you will spend hours scraping & sanding all the RTV off, so you can get a good seal. Hours vs a couple of minutes. The choice is yours.

What "strips" are you talking about? The teflon tape that I use (pink) comes in a roll.

68COUGAR

nah its the white thick strips that you have to butt together to make work. ive seen them on ebay. ive never had that much of a proble getting rtv off of stuff. of course i dont use a tube per joint either. it will usually just rub off with a finger. honestly never had rtv give me a hard time like that. :confused:

Not knocking Wynn's gaskets, but cleaning off the old RTV only takes a few seconds with an electric drill and wire brush. The stuff does tend to fly off the brush and get into places you don't want it to, but the shop vacuum takes care of that.

Since I use the orange copper RTV on pretty much everything (TB to plenum, plenum to blower inlet, blower case to rotor pack, rotor pack to snout, blower top to blower case, manifold plenum to manifold, ect...ect..) sealing the IC tubes with it was easier for me than using the teflon gaskets from Wynn.

David

wynns gaskets actually slide on the studs for the both i/c connections and the lower i/c tube to intake connection.why mess with rtv when all you do with his is unbolt your flanges do whatever your doing then tighten them back down.plus there's no time wasted waiting for the rvt to dry.i'll sat it again,best gaskets on the market ,bar none!!!!!!!

Yes, there should be an o-ring.

If you use the copper RTV from Permatex, it cleans up pretty easy. I found Wynn's gaskets work the best though just from the gooey mess factor.

Back