Unregistered

Miller

Does anybody know the penality for driving an unregistered car in NY ? is it the same as an expired regi ?

Same Thing

Miller said:
Does anybody know the penality for driving an unregistered car in NY ? is it the same as an expired regi ?
If the reg. is expired, then the car is unregistered. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other! Either way, the result is the same.

In Michigan, you must reregister your car BEFORE the first day of your birth month. Registering it on the first day of the month gets you a fine for being late. Used to be that you could register it up to closing time of the DMV On your birthday. Then our Demo. governer decided that the state could steal peoples money by changing the law, so that you had to register it on the first day of your birth month. Then they changed the law again, so they could impose a fine if you registered ON the 1st of the month, because "technically" the car was unregistered at one minute after midnight, of the day Prior to the first of the month. She won't be happy, until every penny of our wages, goes to the state!!!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR

whoah crazy... so if you buy a car in the middle of the year, and you dont want to pay for the fines, you must wait the extra months to register it ? when i got my expired registration ticket it was something like a $40 fine + $50 court fee ( fought it so I could hold my money a little longer yehknow ) .. but they give the option if u register it within 15 days then they drop the ticket or fine you a very small amount i forget which...

Buying a car

Miller said:
so if you buy a car in the middle of the year, and you dont want to pay for the fines, you must wait the extra months to register it ?
No, because the buyer & seller BOTH must go to the DMV to transferr title.

Once I was at the DMV & a woman was trying to register a car that she had just purchased out of state. The DMV said they couldn't transfer title unless the out of state seller was physically present in front of the clerk. Fortunately (????) the seller was ONLY 4 hrs away & not in someplace like California!!!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
No, because the buyer & seller BOTH must go to the DMV to transferr title.

Once I was at the DMV & a woman was trying to register a car that she had just purchased out of state. The DMV said they couldn't transfer title unless the out of state seller was physically present in front of the clerk. Fortunately (????) the seller was ONLY 4 hrs away & not in someplace like California!!!!!

68COUGAR

wow. thats pretty dumb. the other person has to physically be there? wow. here in california all you need is the signed pink slip and the application for REGISTRATION AND TITLE. if its from auto of state it needs to be sent over to the CHP for inspection. wow. didnt know it was that hard in other states?

oh and when your registration expires you only pay like 10 bucks more every 15 days after it expires.

Last edited:
eh if the persons there they might not let you write down you paid $400 for the car...muahaha.. ;) but thad be a real hassle the other person having to be there.. because I'v never gotten what I have to get done in one trip there.... they always find SOMETHING that they need that i dont have.... last time to switch my insurance, i took me 2 days and 5 trips to the DMV... i even had my car parked in the DMV parkinglot with no liscence plates bc i drove it there, pulled the plates, turned them in and got new ones..heh:cool:

No Fault: MI & FL

darkstar_one said:
wow. thats pretty dumb. the other person has to physically be there? wow. oh and when your registration expires you only pay like 10 bucks more every 15 days after it expires.

Yep, both people have to be in front of the DMV counter person. I think it's a post 9-11, Knee-Jerk, "All Americans are Terrorists", Bull-Schitt!!!!!!!! (can is say that on this forum?) I really hope that there's SOME clause in the law that allows a MI. man to buy a car on the Barret/Jackson auction, & Not make the seller FLY to MI. to complete the sale.

I also got hit with an insurance penilty. Since I didn't keep an insurance policy current on the XR-7 (which wasn't undriveable for 18 months), I got thrown into the "18 - 25 yr. old" catagory for insurance.

Hmmmmmm, I'm 50 this yr. Does that mean I can street race, get caught, & my insurance Won't go up? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? (I'm just lettin' off steam here)

BTW: I meant no offense to CA. people. CA. is just as far away from MI. as you can get (sorry AK & HI).

68COUGAR

Miller said:
Friend of mine received a summons for driving an unregistered vehicle in NYC a few months ago. Cost him $1500 in fines, 90 suspension and a whole lot of hassle.
I have heard it is quite similiar on the left side as well Mark.

Attachments

• 162_6242x.jpg
    162_6242x.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 35
I got pulled over three days ago in my sc I just bought a week before.
No reg, No Insurance, and I had pulled out the ENTIRE interior. Was just my driver's seat.....
Stop was for 36 in a 25, officer handed back my OUT OF STATE licence and just said:"slow her down"!
Blessing COUNTED!!!!:)

paul

Im pickin up a sc on saturday from damon...i was going to insure it and throw my accord plates on it and drive'er home but I was thjinkin witht he bad tranny it probably wasnt a good idea to have the engine screamin down the LIE cause if it blew i was a sittin duck for the cops.....insted I decided to rent one of the U-Haul car trailors for a few bucks and tow it home and not take the chance.......
but $1500 in fines ?! while I was at traffic court there were people with tickets for going 100mph+ on the LIE ( 55mph ) and they walked out with only a 4 or 500 fine and a warning............and my expired regi cost me $90...

Miller said:
but $1500 in fines ?! while I was at traffic court there were people with tickets for going 100mph+ on the LIE ( 55mph ) and they walked out with only a 4 or 500 fine and a warning............and my expired regi cost me $90...
The LIE is not part of NYC though......

yes this is true.. i forgot NYC is a different legal world then then LI....they are real hard with the fines there i heard its major points + fines if u blow a light or something there right

and my uhaul trailor idea went down the drain bc apparently I cant find any of them on LI..... but i found a friend of a guy who knows a guy who used 2 know my mom heh who will flatbed it for $75 whoopwhoop

Miller said:
i heard its major points + fines if u blow a light or something there right
Last ticket I was issued before I left NYC was for a seatbelt in 9/04. It cost me $150 after court fees.

Paul

Miller said:
If unregisterd are you insured at least? driving without insurance in NY you can be arrested on the spot. some will just give you a ticket. Somethin to think about

oh always insured... insurance is the only big deal really registration is just minor.... but yea always ins.

Back