MLS gasket thickness

alansou

Seeking guidance from the head gasket guru's.
redoing head gaskets in my 89
got a set of the chevy ARP head studs
ordered some MLS gaskets from summit.

part numbers FEL-9250PT and FEL-9253PT (right and left).

I got these part numbers from page 3 of the FelPro 2005 MLS Application Guide:
http://www.federal-mogul.com/vgn/images/portal/cit_776/12950728AppGuide.pdf
The part numbers for both applications under almost all years are the same.
Head Set (both sides, single part #) HS 9250PT
Individually: 9250PT and 9253PT
Anyone know what the -1, -3, and -4 indicate?

My motor man tells me the ones I got are about 4 times thicker than a standard head gasket and is concerned I will lose compression big time with these things.
Do they compress down THAT much?

How tight should the ARP studs need to be torqued?
Which rivet needs to be removed?

Please help me guys, I am running out of time on this.

Thanks in advance!

alan

PS: heads have been milled to true but the block has just been cleaned, not machined.
should I send these back and get stock gaskets if the block has just been cleaned and not machined?

Thanks again!
alan

I think you ordered the correct gaskets. I haven't used the Felpro Perma Torque MLS gaskets, but the MLS ones from ford that fit the same motors (what I have) are about .040 thick compressed.

I think Dave Dalke (XR7Dave) has used these same gaskets, so you may want to e-mail him about the thickness. I wouldn't really be too concerned about a reduction in compression.

David

I have the felpro MLS gaskets on my SC. I had the heads straightned but left the block alone. So far they seem to work fine. I was told these were the prototype gaskets they made for the SC's so I'm not sure if they are the same as what you ordered or not.

Just for reference to quality, The MLS gaskets from Fel-Pro are great gaskets. I run them on my Lightning at 19 psi and 600+ rwhp. Johnny Lightning (Wiker) runs them on his truck (worlds fastest Gen 2). They'll hold up as long as you don't run lean. Just some feedback on the gaskets for you guys!

Jason

How do I join?
I'd love to support the community.
I am out of town on a busines trip so forgive me for not finding the answer myself.

Back