195 or 180??

fastsc92

I bought a 180 thermostat about a month ago. It ran a lot hotter than with the 195. I cut the fan wire...and that helped a lot. Now i have some gasket problems with leaking and its apart again. I cant decide if i should put the 195 back in there or stay with the 180. Help me out as soon as possible. Its apart as we speak so i'm looking for some fast advise....very fast. thanks!

I would only go with the cooler thermostat if you are planning on doing something with when the fan comes one (e.g. EEC tuner, temp controlled switch or re-wiring). A cooler thermostat by itself will not do as much to lower temps.

i have #14 wire cut and i ran a switch into the console so i can turn it on or off. I'm just not sure what to do. I cant make up my mind and i was hoping someone should do it for me.....lol. Maybe i'll just flipp a coin.

Stay with the 180. The cooler (to a certain degree) your motor runs the more insurance you have against engine knock or detonation which can do wonders for the longevity of your head gaskets. You may even see a little more power with cooler water temps. But like George D said, make sure your fan comes on at a compatible temp or the 180 may not make any difference in warm/hot weather. The 180 will make a huge difference in cool/cold weather even with stock fan temp settings.

Last edited:
!80 makes car run hotter ...

The water pumps on our cars move the coolant so fast that with a quicker opening thermostat, it may move through the radiator too quickly and doesn't get the chance to shed the heat. That is why you should change your fan temp settings.

Of course the other option is to get a larger capacity radiator or possibly underdriving the water pump....

Back