Need fitting size for AOD cooler lines

LJGriggs

The fittings on my AOD where the cooler lines attach (at the tranny, not the cooler) are both leaking. It seems the the flaired metal line is not sealing when the fitting is tightened. Fluid seeps between the line and the fitting. Is there a better fitting that could be installed? Or is there supposed to be an o-ring or rubber washer on the existing fitting?
Basically, I'm just looking for a solution to stop the fluid leak...

I found the fitting size...

It was hidden in the Ford Service Manual at the end of the AOD specifications listing (should have looked there first :eek: ).
Anyway, the fitting is a 1/4" x 18

Those fittings did have an 0-ring in them from the factory. I always thought the fittings were 1/4npt. Sounds like your lines may be damaged not the fittings to me.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
Those fittings did have an 0-ring in them from the factory. I always thought the fittings were 1/4npt. Sounds like your lines may be damaged not the fittings to me.
Alan
The threads in the case are 1/4" straight pipe thread, they are not tapered like standard npt. I have heard of people using npt -AN adapters when running ss braided lines, but I actually machined adapters to go from the 1/4" straight pipe thread to the 1/4" npt.

I believe I have an O-Ring issue

I pulled the fittings and there doesn't appear to be an o-ring on the line. (There may have been one there at some point, but its gone now.) I have an assortment of rings in my toolbox, so I will put some on and see if that fixes the problem. I'm guessing that there should be one between the flaired end on the cooler line and the fitting, and one on the "bolt end" of the threads?

That makes sense Kurt These fitting sizes are great for confusing people.
The fittings did originally have an 0-ring but I have seen them missing many times without leaks.
Alan

Back