sc trans

nlsl90

i am in need of some info on the transmissions in the SC'S. my 90 has an AOD in it,would a 93 have the same,or would it have an AODE. thanks

93 should be a cable AOD car. i think 94 was the first year for the 4r70 w or aode whatever they had in them

that is what i want to here,if anyone else has any input on this please post. thanks again.

they went straight to the 4r's in 1994, right? Suppose I could do a search...
I drive a 5 speed cuz I have yet to own an auto bird with a good-shifting stock tranny in it.... Art carr wants 1800 bux for their entry-level unit, which I hear is "bullet-proof"....

i have a 5-speed to,and it is awsome that car would smoke my auto car. i'm looking at a 93 with no engine or trans,i have both to fix it,but if it has the electronic trans probably going to have to change the wiring,and don't really want to do this.thanks again for your input

dont tlet these stickshift guys fool you though, also dont let art carr have your money. there are people on this forum who can tell you what to buy and install to make your AOD just as strong as an art carr piece. you have a polished turd whether you have a 5 speed or an auto in one of these cars i mean face it the 5 speed is a truck tranny, notchy, easy to break, hard to shift

the auto is actually a huge dog turd shaped into the FORM of a tranny. go ahead, check it out!

but out of the 2, id have to take a modified AOD. because while your grabbin gears and double clutchin and missin shifts and cussin', im GONE BABY!!

sure it feels good to bang gears in a stick, better ratios and what not. also is the convenience of no tranny cooler/lines/guage, etc.

but as far as faster goes tell me what pro stock, pro mod, top fuel. they dont run a stick shift and this is for a reason. noone can shift as fast as an auto, whether it be a c4, or an air shifted lenco like the top fuel guys.

the comment on the stock trannies is so true. but a modified, kitted, stalled and generally beefed up trans, even an old AOD, can be incredible fun.
the 3000 stall 10" equipped aod i had in the red car was awesome. whacking the ~~~ end sideways on the 1-2 shift is priceless:D

i have a TCI in my auto car,and it's great.this car i'm getting is to just put a motor back in it since i have a couple layin around,and sell it,but some one told me that if it had an electronic trans,that the wiring is different. thanks

I wouldn't Pee on Tci if they were on fire. The only thing they make worth having is a good 1 piece input shaft for these transmissions and I'm sure they just buy it off of someone else. If the Art Carr trans was really bullet proof why would they sell a better model? The facts are you can't build a really strong aod for $1800 a set of ghey alto clutches and a super servo do not make a performance transmission to me. You want the best you can get build it with all the latest model 4r70w parts you can stuff in it, a 1 piece input shaft a $600 billet converter, a 93 markVIII output shaft, high carbon 2 inch overdrive band, and a lentech vb with od delete. And don't forget your stock A servo don't bother with the aftermarket ones.
Alan

hey now. i had good luck with the alto red eagle clutches i used. of course i still blew the tranny up, but they werent the cause of the explosion lol

The best friction material is the dynax 850 stuff. Or high carbon as most call it. Thin steels are a bad idea also, real transmission builders modify the drum to get in extra plates, not install thin plates.
Alan

Back