If I take off the rear sway bar,

95badbird

What would happend?
I would be doing this only for drag racing purposes.

Will it help any?

The front one is already off, just have never pulled the back one.

Nick

The Rear Sway Bar From My Understanding Only Keeps The Wheels From Dropping Too Low, Not From Them Tucking Up Allowing The Car To Squat. I Dont Think They Impede On The Ability Of The Rear Suspension To Fully Compress. Anyone Out There Correct Me If Im Wrong?

Not a Travel Limiter

acb92sc said:
The Rear Sway Bar From My Understanding Only Keeps The Wheels From Dropping Too Low, Not From Them Tucking Up Allowing The Car To Squat. I Dont Think They Impede On The Ability Of The Rear Suspension To Fully Compress.
The rear sway bar is NOT a travel limiter. It's there to control Roll Center of Gravity. It counter acts body roll by attempting to twist the bar length wise. If the car is squatting, then both rear wheels are moving in the same direction, the (anti) sway bar, has no effect. It only works when the rear wheels try to move in opposite directions vertically.

If the car is a Drag ONLY car, go ahead & remove the sway bars. Just don't attempt any high speed cornering onto the return road. If this is a street/strip car, then you can save some weight by removing the rear bar, but it's going to be a PITA removing & reinstalling it every time you go to the track.

Do you drive the car on the street with NO front sway bar? I respectfully decline that ride you offered me!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
The rear sway bar is NOT a travel limiter. It's there to control Roll Center of Gravity. It counter acts body roll by attempting to twist the bar length wise. If the car is squatting, then both rear wheels are moving in the same direction, the (anti) sway bar, has no effect. It only works when the rear wheels try to move in opposite directions vertically.

If the car is a Drag ONLY car, go ahead & remove the sway bars. Just don't attempt any high speed cornering onto the return road. If this is a street/strip car, then you can save some weight by removing the rear bar, but it's going to be a PITA removing & reinstalling it every time you go to the track.

Do you drive the car on the street with NO front sway bar? I respectfully decline that ride you offered me!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR
The front bar has been off since the swap, I could not run it, for my oil pan is to big(7 quart Moroso).
With the combination of slicks and skinnies, and no front bar, the car does not handle at all(to some extent)
Everytime I take it to the track, I trailer it.

And c'mon, you still don't want a ride in the beast:p

I have my rear bar out in my TBird with air suspension because it hits corners a little better, but it doesnt have very much articulation. Doesnt drive bad on normal driving either, but there is more body roll on a hard turn.
I had the front bar out at one time, and that ride was terrible ! Felt like a boat going around turns, so I put it back in.

- Dan

To Hit or Not to Hit the Corner

Ddubb said:
I have my rear bar out in my TBird with air suspension because it hits corners a little better, but it doesnt have very much articulation. - Dan
What exactly do you mean that it "hits corners a little better"? With no rear bar, the car should oversteer like a mutha.

68COUGAR

Just to elaborate on the first two sentences I wrote, I understand that it may not make sense to everybody ..

I have the rear bar out in my Tbird with Air Suspension. - Air suspension means that I have airbags in place of the coil springs with independant control and the ability to lift and lower my car at the touch of a switch. I have removed the rear sway bar.

It Hits Corners a little better, but it does not have that much more articulation. - Hitting corners is when you press the switch to deflate one wheel dipping that corner a little lower than the rest of the car, with the sway bar in it will lower both sides when one side is deflated .. when the sway bar is out, it will lean more to that side giving a little more control and the ability to "hit corners".

It doesnt drive bad on normal driving, but there is more body roll on a hard turn. - It does have more oversteer.

Sorry if that didnt make sense the first time around, not everbody knows what im talking about when I say my car has Airbags .. they think its the one in the steering wheel. :D

Last edited:
I drove a few crown vic's/grand marquis with the rear bar removed and dont notice much of a big diff at all, so if the bar is so heavy go for it

Back