need oppinions please

5speedxr7

took the lincoln in for a safty today and I'm not impressed.
i took it to a ford dealership here in london. because we deal with them every day through work and i work with guys that used to work there and normaly they treat me good.
but today they charged me 101.20 for a safty check which is almost dubble what i payed for one last year.
and they failed it. below is the list that they gave me plus my thoughts on each one. ( i used to help do saftey checks when i worked at a canadian tire so i know whats required and what isn't)

1. High mount brake bulb {my bad after all i did to the car i didn't check the lights }
2. l/s reverse bulb and lens {didn't know the lens what craked but it could be}
3. multi-function switch {~~~?}
4. wipers {rubber riped on one}
5. wiper moter and linkage { as i mentioned in another post, they work but they dont gow down all theway but they work}
6. drivers side power window switch {window and switch work but the cap falls off the switch
7. turn signal flasher { it works but flashes slowly}
8.battey hold down {my bad forgot to do it back up}
9.drivers outer handel { handel works but sticks up a bit, not a saftie issue}
10. lug nuts {all there and tourqued, but not all the same. but all the right size}
11. right rear seat belt buckle {worked for me}
12.drivers door hindge. {nothing wrong with them that i saw}
13. incorrect tire sizes {the back tires ar not the right size. but that only matter side to side not front to back
14. front brake flex hoses {they looked okay to me}
15. steel fuel and brake lines {again ~~~? i fixed the ones that were leaking}
16. rear floor pan at roicker lips holes/rotten {i iddn't see any therre but i could have missed them
17. replace all engine oil seals and gaskets, tranes cooler lines, oil pan gasket, torque converter seal and pump. {no of this to my knowledge has anything to do with a saftie.

i think that most of this stuff is bull crap any oppinions suggestions would be great
thanks

I've heard of just about every one of those being used to fail a car or truck at one point or other. None of them surprise me. The tires, I think, all have to be the same size (at least diameter wise), and shouldn't be wider than is supposed to be accommodated on the rims. The wiper motor needs to properly 'park' the wipers. Brake and fuel lines need to be sound, not just leak-proof. Brake lines may not be showing actual signs of leaking, but they can be put under extreme pressure in an emergency, and so they need to look like they're all up to the task. Oil leaks are reason enough for them not to even put the car up on the rollers for an e-test, likewise for any exhaust leaks.

Most of those things are discretionary on the part of the mechanic doing the safety, but if that shop has had any recent problems with questionable safeties, then they will be pretty tight about anything and everything. ...At least for a little while.

Unfortunately, trying to seal up the oil and tranny fluid leaks alone would probably cost more than it's worth spending on the car, judging by all the little things they picked on during the safety, and some 'not so little things' like body rot.

If you're committed to putting this car on the road, then it sounds like you've got some more work to get done first.

sounds like you hit a bunch of power freaks who like to throw it around.

17. replace all engine oil seals and gaskets, tranes cooler lines, oil pan gasket, torque converter seal and pump. {no of this to my knowledge has anything to do with a saftie.

is more an enviromental issue then safety.that is if it is leaking alot and if not it back to my first thought.

Sounds like you had more than a safety done. Never ever have heard of some of those items being checked during a safety.

Never take your ride to Ukranian Tire for anything other than air in the tires.....and then make sure you check them afterwards.

Your Linc sounds like it's in rough shape. Make it safe, my kids are out there.

Bruce

Last edited:
:eek: If the ford dealers work the same way as crapy tire there mechanics work on commision so the will tryto find any little thing to make money on try taking it to a smaller garage and see what happens I bet half that stuff u don't see show up on there saftey good luck hope every thing works out

Hey Josh

Of your list there, I know the front flex hoses were starting to look a bit tough. That's why I had the new ones for the car that I sent down to you later.

As you said, fluid leaks have nothing to do with a mechanical fitness certificate ... the techs at our dealership have told me that many times.

Sounds to me they don't like signing their name to one on a car that's more than a few years old.

cheers
Ed N.

one of the guy s that i work with has a buddy that owns a small shop so i'm gonna fix the things taht i missed that are required then take it to him.
next fight is the etest. might have to pay for a pass besause of all the leaks
(i'm gonna fix them just cant afford to right now)

:confused: most places i have bin to for my e test don't care about oil leeks as long as you don't leave a litre or two on there floor:D my tranny has a small leak thy put it on the tester past e test didnt say any thing about leaks

Back