Using 93 engine in 94...do i need to change sensors?

Mike Manzo

I just read another thread about doing transmission swaps to get 4R70Ws into older Tbirds and wondered if there is any worry about using the older 93 engine with the 94's computer?

All the sensors on the 94 still work, so swapping them wont be a bigass deal, but is this something I need to do or not. Also, the 93 has a BHJ balancer and I know that between the two different generations there is a difference in the balancers, but if the sensors NEED to be matched to the 94 computer, does the 93's BHJ need to be changed as well to match up with the 94's crank sensor?

Mike, you will need to swap your 94 sensors to the 93 motor. Sorry, you cannot use the 93 hb on the 94, you will have to keep the 94 hb on the 93 motor. The reluctor on the rear of the hb's are completely different between the two. A 94 looks like a gear with many teeth and a 93 and earlier has three metal vanes that trigger the sensor. You should be able to sell the early BHJ for enough to almost pay for a new 94-95 type BHJ. John
edit: The reason you cannot use the old 93 sensor and hb is the 94 EEC won't recongnize the early type.

Last edited:
Hey Mike,
You will need to change timing covers also as the crank sensor mounting location is diferent. I have a 93 engine in my 945Spd. Here is some pics for ya I knew they would come in handy sooner or later. If Im not mistaken 94 cover on left in last 2 pics has sensor mounting location two threaded holes to right of two waterpump mounting holes. Last two pics cover on right has bracket that holds sensor on cover. Hope I did not confuse you any questions Email or call me. Willy W

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg