Power steering line removal

redmonster

Is there a simple way to remove and install high pressure line between pump and rack. Someone replaced the line and it does not have quick connects anymore. I managed to remove it once but when i tried to reinstall it I stripped the threads in the rack so now I am trying to find a 16mm tap to repair it . I don't want to do this again so any help would be appreciated.

It never had quick disconnects on it. At least my 1989 doesn't have quick disconnects.

The one at the pump was kind of a b*tch to hook up because of the articulation of the fitting. I had to pull the accesory drive assembly away from the engine to get it to line up properly.

The lower one took careful placement of a wrench.

Did you strip the elbow at the rack, or the fitting from the elbow to the line?

power%20steering%20at%20rack.jpg

I stripped the fitting and the rack. I don,t realy know how I stripped it . It didn't feel like it cross threaded but it would not get tight. I am going to clean up the threads in the rack and return it for another one. I guess that lifetime warranty comes in handy. I already have a nother elbow so that should take care of it . Any tips on installing would be great.

I did mine from the top with the IC tubes removed, the IC removed and the accessory drive assembly removed.

I then stood on a toolbox and hung my body into the engine bay and started the fitting with my finger ensuring it didn't cross thread. there was a Nylon "gasket" on the fitting that you have to make sure is pushed all the way back or it will interfere when trying to get it started.

Once started, I just used an open end wrench to wrench it tight slowly. Did the same with the elbow fitting into the rack. But I started that one from under the car.

Other than sealing the IC Tubes, it's quite simple to remove the drivers side accessory drive assembly as a whole and can really help getting at that fitting as you can see in the following picture.

drivermount.jpg

I got exactly Monster's question....

The line that runs under the engine is prone to get crapped up because it's trapped between the frame and engine....that's where mine rusted out and has a leak.

Is that the high pressure line?
Does it connect to the center of the rack?

What's the best way to get the high pressure line off the pump....and can you then re-route something in a better way to the center of the rack?

I don't want to go around the engine and frame like that....that sucks.

I would consider splicing in a section on the old line where it's still good....I've done that before and it holds just fine.

Back