HELP 91 with Damaged threads in crank

jettburn

So now I have problems... I got the old broken harmonic balancer piece off. It required lots of contortions, some drilling, and a bit of imaginative configuring of oversize washers, metal screws and balancer puller parts. I even managed to get the new OEM balancer on. Then I replaced the crank position sensor from under the car (only way to do it).

Now I go to install the new crank bolt and find that the threads have been damaged inside the crankshaft. The crank bolt used to spin freely by hand but now I can barely turn it even with a pipe on the end of the ratchet. The bolt gets in about 1/2 inch before it gets tough to turn. I sure as heXX don't want to break that bolt in there so I took it out. Now I am stumped.

I am taking suggestions on how to repair the crank threads. Tap and die set??? Anyone...Anyone ???

Any help appreciated.

Get a bottoming tap, size M14 x 1.5 thread pitch to clean up the threads. Use some cutting oil on the tap while chasing the threads and then blow or vacuum out the hole. To remove the cutting oil spray some carb or brake cleaner in the hole.

David

Thats about the only thing you can do but rember if it gets hard to turn back it off and then go back in. you need to kept doing that otherwise the tap might brake off.

Back