Darn M5R2's.....

CMac89

Well, last night I was havin some fun while doin a nice little, low RPM burnout in second gear. Then it proceeded to pop out of gear and now the second gear synchro grinds......again.

2000 miles on the tranny rebuild, too.

Back to the good ole days.:)

That's pretty frustrating. I'm on my third trans. and I've just about had it with the M5R2. I'd love to go with the T56. I talked to D&D transmission and they said that they could take a Viper T56 with a small block ford bellhousing and put the F-body tail shaft on it and it would fit the SC well. I would need to switch to a mustang starter, flywheel and clutch. About $3K all together but it sure would be nice to have a dependable trans that shifts nice.

Dan,

Why couldn't we just use a F-body T56 all together? Is the bell housing not removable?

Stock Trans, 87K, Over 65 track passes ( 45 of those with slicks ) and this baby still shifts smooth :D must be lucky :rolleyes:

I'll take a TKO > T56 any day of the week. If you have to go to a Mustang flywheel and clutch anyways, you might as well get the 26-spline with the TKO and not have to worry about your tranny again. No sense in staying 10-spline if you are going to spend 3k. I'd imagine you could do the same with a TKO. TKO is a MUCH more reliable tranny than the T56. It can take pretty much anything any car on this board could throw at it. Just an idea for all the out-of-the-box thinkers!

Jason

I really want something that is efficient and reliable at the same time. I can put a motorhome transmission in my car and it won't ever break, but it will slow my car down a ton.

Brickrocket said:
I'll take a TKO > T56 any day of the week. If you have to go to a Mustang flywheel and clutch anyways, you might as well get the 26-spline with the TKO and not have to worry about your tranny again. No sense in staying 10-spline if you are going to spend 3k. I'd imagine you could do the same with a TKO. TKO is a MUCH more reliable tranny than the T56. It can take pretty much anything any car on this board could throw at it. Just an idea for all the out-of-the-box thinkers!

Jason

Um... the LS1 T56 is not a 10-spline input shaft. I'm90% positive that the T56 in the LS1 F-bodies is 26-spline.

SanDiegoLXBird said:
Um... the LS1 T56 is not a 10-spline input shaft. I'm90% positive that the T56 in the LS1 F-bodies is 26-spline.
Actually they are 10 spline.

Either one of those trannys would be a nice upgrade. I've had good luck with all my M5R2's but I'm under no illusion as to the weak nature of the stock tranny. I'd love a 6spd and may go ahead and spend the money at some point.

Back