Improving Fuel Economy

phycobob

Hey all. Getting REALLY bad MPG now (250mi on 16 gallons) which comes out to 15.65 staying under boost 90% of the time in constant highway and rural conditions. Could somebody list off all the parts that would effect gas mileage?

O2 sensors, plugs, wires, oil change, tranny fluid, tire pressure....anything else?

hmmm

I dont know how much more you are gonna get in the city. I can get around 275-300 in the city. Now if your on the interstate... you should get 300+ easy.

But to answer your question.. all the items you listed affect gas mileage. Also, the brand and octane do as well. You are running 93 correct???

Chris

Well

When I went from a slow leaking set of bald Goodyears to the Kumhos I picked up 3%-4%. Not much but it did show up! Make sure wheel bearings are OK and the brakes aren't hanging up. Wax it regularly and oh yea push it everywhere you go...I'm sure your fuel usage will go down;)

Anthony

hmm....

I can only get 92 octane here in Washington. Chevron though....I know my mileage should be better, cause before the heads were rebuilt, I was getting about 350mi a tank in the same driving conditions. Maybe cause the compression is higher a little? And I just got new tires last week. Maybe I should cut a hole in the floor and go Flintstone! Guess I'll just replace everything I mentioned before. Any suggestions for spark plugs? I heard about Denso Iridiums, but dont know how they compare with Motorcraft double platinums....

If this problem just started after rebuilding the heads, I would bet the o2 sensors were contaminated with coolant in the process. Simply remove them, and clean them well. They can account for up to a 40 percent fuel loss, definatley noticable. As far as plugs, some have had excellent results with Iridiums, I believe a different gap is necessary. Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums will always give satisfactory performace, without any trouble. Change your wires at the same time. If you do a lot of city driving, a bottle of fuel system cleaner could also be beneficial. I have heard positive feedback on the use of berryman's.

BTW, check the non-tech forum for the post on fuel economy, advice for improvment can be found there.

Back