still have a clunk in front end

shawpdx1

driving me crazy replaced the fron and rear shocks and springs but for some reason I still have a clunk going over bumps Ive jacked it a millions times if not once to check ball joint every thing seems fine no play when I try to wobble the tire Im wondering if I should just go ahead and replace everything in the front end why not im barried in it anyway..............lol I do have a bad rear wheel bearing wich im doing tommorow anyway any suggestions? also swapped out my ugly grey interior with black no the bell wont stop LOL Its like a crack pipe for me this car cant stop trying to get it squared away thanks guys

There could be a bunch of other things causing the clunk. Sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, ball joints. If you're not sure how to diagnose any of the parts then take it to a front end shop and have them check out the front end for you.

yeah I have they say its fine ..........think I better take it to a another shop I was thinking sway bar or end links

Under what conditions does it occur? I am going to take a stab and say it's strut rod bushings, but without more details, we are shooting in the dark.

Paul

My car had a bad KLUNK when going over bumps and turns, it wound up being the sub frame bolts, those buggers worked themselves loose. If you do a search here you'll see where they are located and how many, I can't remember exactly how many there are but I want to say 8 maybe it was 4. Best of luck!

shock nut

Could be the upper shock retaining nut, the big one in the middle.
Pop off the arc actuator and remove the top nut and the metal actuator bracket (the primary retaining nut is under this bracket). Now sit on the fender and see if there is any slop in the top of the shock.
This happened to me after swaping shocks and was a real pain to find. Tightening that bad boy after the fact is pretty fun too.
The car canNot be jacked up when you do this.

hope you find it.

Bob

If it's a big "clunk" I'd venture to say it's the lower control arm ball joint or lower control arm to sub-frame bushing. Don't forget even a '95 SC is now over 10 years old. So if you are spending the money putting in new shocks & springs (what $700?), go the extra yard and install new upper & lower control arms (now about $60 for the uppers and $60-80 for the lowers - including the ball joint), a set of strut rod bushings and new tie-rod ends. Also did you install new rubber cushions on the rear springs?

My money is on the k-member(subframe) bolts. I did the same thing, replacing a bunch of front suspension parts that never fixed the clunk. Sometimes when I first took the car off the jack stands after replacing a part the clunk would be gone at first. Then after a couple of times around the block it would show back up. I was so frustrated I have dents in my fender from where I had a buddy of mine trying to rock the car while I was under it trying to hear the clunk.
There are 8 bolts, 2 at each mounting point, they are male torx heads. Look up under there and you might see where the bolt head is cleaning away grime on the frame as it moves. In the end it was such an easy fix to the most annoying problem.
Here is a thread with pictures and the socket size.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45802

Kurt

hey thanks to everyone for all the info very helpful just had it alligned ..........im thinking sub frame also going to check it out!!!!!!!! i was also wondering if it was my tranny mount

Bring the car up and try to push the tire forward...if the tire moves, strut rod bushings. I picked mine up from AZ for about $60 bucks. then take it to a shop to get it aligned.

All i have to change is the upper ball-joints...hopefully that gets rid of my "clanking" from the front end.:rolleyes:

The UCAs are not too hard to change out. There is a really nice write-up on the TCCOA website "Works in Progress" forum. I think the guy doing it is is "White Lincoln". I also posted my comments about the write-up in a thread over there (some things on an 89-93 are different from a 94-97). Let's hear it for the 18mm ratcheting wrench!

poping sound from front end

I just replaced most of my front end parts in strut rod bushings and the poping sound is there. Like when I turn a corner or after the car has sit awhile. Did you get the poping sound fixed

thanks

Last post he had said he was going to check the sub-frame/Kmember bolts. I don't think it's a coincidence that he has not posted again. It would have been nice if he let us know for sure that it was the sub-frame bolts then you would have read it and already have your clunk fixed.:D

Kurt

Back