PDA

View Full Version : Q about MPIII blower

mywhite89
02-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Do you have to get a different intake manifold to conver to to the mpIII? I was about to port mine, but want to make sure I can actually use it first.

Jim Demmitt Jr
02-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Do you have to get a different intake manifold to conver to to the mpIII? I was about to port mine, but want to make sure I can actually use it first.

Yes it takes stock intake manifold there is no modifacation to that area you get the MP3 with plenum just install. porting the intake and IC tubes is a must to gain max performance of the higher boost blower I had the first proto type MP3

XR7inWI
02-13-2006, 03:59 AM
I had the first proto type MP3
I thought Coy Miller had the FIRST one....:confused: :confused:

rzimmerl
02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Jim, porting the IC tubes you are refering to extrude honing, correct?

Jim Demmitt Jr
02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Jim, porting the IC tubes you are refering to extrude honing, correct?

(No Extude Hone) that was to much money we did it the old school way hand porting with special long bits turned out nice

Jim Demmitt Jr
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I thought Coy Miller had the FIRST one....:confused: :confused:

We both had the first generation proto MP3 the only two ever built back than Coy was using Nitrous we where on power alone we ran 11's twice with my Dads ported M-90 at 19.5lbs of boost the MP3 needed more overdrive it would only get 17lbs boost max. Charley built two nice blowers the cost was a lot higher than the ones now

TwoToneThunder
02-13-2006, 01:24 PM
We both had the first generation proto MP3 the only two ever built back than Coy was using Nitrous we where on power alone we ran 11's twice with my Dads ported M-90 at 19.5lbs of boost the MP3 needed more overdrive it would only get 17lbs boost max. Charley built two nice blowers the cost was a lot higher than the ones now

so when are you racing it again?

Jim Demmitt Jr
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
so when are you racing it again?

Racing in March

I am waiting on the converter the trans is all together with a change to it hope to have it together and running in the next few weeks. We ran 11.911et it was reving way high through high gear slipping the trans and torque converter going away you can tell by the MPH its was not right. I added an EEC tuner bigger injectors it was making power before all went south in the trans dept. It will be interesting seeing what it can do now remember still running double IC not front mount its the only car with double IC to run 11's will be going to front mount later this season as well

mywhite89
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
thanks for the information. I am going to go with the front mount intercooler just to get it overwith.
Geez it looked like I was illiterate when I typed that question this morning! Guess it was 1:30 or 2 in the morning though.

95pearlbird
02-13-2006, 09:33 PM
When you say "get it over with" you mean get rid of all that hard-earned cash ?

1) The MPIII and the plenum are a matching set, they are both sold together.
I don't think the stock one will match the rear of the MP III blower, and you don't want that anyway.
As before, they are sold as a matched set, so not to worry....

2)What other mods have you done to your SC?
Reason I ask is this: Both Magnum Powers and SupercoupePerformance have specials going on the whole Intake System. The MPIII, the Plenum, the 85mm TB, and the CAI w/divider. I think its around 1750, which is only 300 more than the blower and plenum alone. You can save around 200 by buying them all together instead of seperately.
Its a great deat if you have head work done(and/or a cam) and you want max air flow with the larger 85mm TB.
With stock heads though, in addition to the MP III, you'll want a 75 or 76 Throttle Body, a 76mm MAFS, and a Cold Air Kit to go with them both.

You'll want a 5 or 10% pulley for the blower,(this also comes with the blower, so know which one you want) and you may want a 10% crank pulley, or a 10% jackshaft pulley too, as the MPIII will take a lot of overdrive.
Overall, if you do all that first, you'll get better performance for your dollar, and save the FMIC for later. Speaking of Intercoolers, have you seen the double IC from Texas Thunderbirds? It's a nice unit, maybe not as much CFM as a MP/Spearco, but its a lot less $$$. Click on the header you'll see on top of the page.
Maybe you already have all but the blower... Just sending a few suggestions by ya.....Hope it helped...SC-Ya!

mywhite89
02-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey thanks for the information about the buying the whole kit. I know it comes with the plenum. I was asking about the lower intake itself. I didn't know if Magnum powers made a better one. In my opinion it looks like it flows pretty good already, just needs a port matching.

Right now I have my motor in pieces as of a month ago. I have kooks mid-length headers and a 73mm mafs from a old car. Other then that I have a complete gasket kit, and next week Im buying everything to deck out the bottom end of the car.

David Neibert
02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
It works with the stock intake manifold. Randy Baker was making modded manifolds and inlet plenums, but I think he stopped doing them last year.

David