Best AOD trans fluid?

"Question to the top runners"

What type AOD trans fluid do you guys run? ATF or Type F? what do you think of Moble 1 synthetic ATF? I dont want to glaze the clutches over I was told regular Valvaline type F is best

Jim,

I run whatever the tranny builder suggests. I know that's probably not the answer you are looking for, but as fragile as these trannys seem to be, I don't want to take a chance. I figure the builders know better than I do.

for a race application, especially with a boosted motor thats gonna create alot of heat when on the brake... hydraulic fluid.

In my Lentech AOD I use Mercon III, but Lentech said that if I wanted to use type F, it would shift a little quicker.

David

David Neibert said:
In my Lentech AOD I use Mercon III, but Lentech said that if I wanted to use type F, it would shift a little quicker.

David

Thanks David.

Checked with Ron Ranndell all racing trans AOD with special clutches under a lot strain and hard runing to use Type F I think we had Moble 1 ATF Mercon Dextron approved for fords in it at last

Jim,
I am using Chrysler ATF+3 in mine tranny. That is what my tranny guy used when he rebuilt my tranny many years ago and 34K ago. It contains fiction modifiers. I change my tranny fluid every year.

Later
Ken

I'm not much for additives,but on these aod's I generally use DexIII and a bottle of the red lubeguard.
Alan

MerconV is a good fluid but I don't suggest using it with alto or stock aod clutch lings they weren't meant for it. If you use the late dynax clutches it's good stuff.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
I'm not much for additives,but on these aod's I generally use DexIII and a bottle of the red lubeguard.
Alan

Alan,
What is the difference between red lubeguard and black lubeguard?

Thanks
Ken

Black lubeguard is to convert dexIII to chrysler 7176. The red just helps to prevent sticky valves and extend fluid life. The green is to convert it to merconV,but it isn't any good.
Alan

Back