Abs, Brakes< Quit!

Superloop

Hola!

Has anybody had a problem with the abs and brake light coming on and the brakes quit completely?

mine quits sometimes, and then works again.

Everytime I step on the brakes a little hard, both lights come on for a second. does anybody know anything about this problem?
I will appreciated if someone can give me some info.

Do we ever!

You have 1 of 2 very common problems. Either your power relay is stuck open, or if your car is 10 years old or more, and has never had the ABS accumulator replaced, its well past its life expectancy.

I assume you're takling about 92 or earlier which is the Teves II ABS system. Its late or I'd go into details. Don't worry, someone else will pick up this thread and tell you what you need to do.

Accum.

I've heard it is the accumulator. I just ordered one today
from Prior Remanufacturing. $99.95 + shipping.

My lights come on too in sequence. Brake, then ABS. then
they go off.

j. '90 SC

My lights come on too in sequence. Brake, then ABS. then
Classic symptom of a BAD ABS Accumulator..........I would recommend changing the ABS relay (brown relay) also. Relay around 22USD at NAPA!

Cheers,
Calvin

What is changing the relay going to do for it if changing
the Accum. fixes the problem? Updated electronics? or
do they fail alot too??

J.

Relays, by their nature, fail over time. Typically if the Accumulator has failed, then other "wear" parts in the vehicle may also be close to the end of their rope.

Replacing the relay is just an ounce of prevention but doesn't need to be done if the accumulator solves the problem.

Here's my ABS symthom on my 1991SC

All is well until 15 minutes or so into a drive time, then yellow ABS light comes on and stays on till you shut the car off. I am just crusing along in the country not using the brakes and on comes the light. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Back