trans cooler location

"Getting some ideas"

Going to a remote trans cooler what are some of your mounting locations and what type cooler do you use core size?

mine is mounted in front of the radiator, right in the middle. I bypassed the stock cooler in the radiator. I am runnig B&M plate cooler 19,000lb. cap. I believe. I rarely see trans temps of 180, ususally around 165-170, running Amsoil synthetic trans fluid with stock pan.

David Neibert said:
Jim,

This is what I did...BTW, the dual coolers on the 91 are doing a better job than what I've got on the 93.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=410701&postcount=7

David

David thanks!

This info and pictures is very much appreciated nice setup I am only 2 hrs from Summit racing wearhouse in Reno Nev. I got the B&M trans cooler part number I have a small Fex-a-light fan same size as the intercooer one now need a stronger battery jell filled are those Stinger batterys any good? what do you use? mine was crapping out there at the last. I never put a remote trans cooler on that dident help the trans cant aford to toast this one

Last edited:
rzimmerl said:
mine is mounted in front of the radiator, right in the middle. I bypassed the stock cooler in the radiator. I am runnig B&M plate cooler 19,000lb. cap. I believe. I rarely see trans temps of 180, ususally around 165-170, running Amsoil synthetic trans fluid with stock pan.

hey rzimmer,

are you running any friction modifier with that Amsoil??
I got a 91 lx w/AOD which has a horendous o/d-3 shift I am hoping to cure by using friction modifier...

paul

rzimmerl said:
Is this with a locking convertor? With a non-locking convertor, I'm almost positive that a 19,000lb cooler would NOT be big enough to keep the temps under 180°F.

I run two BM coolers 2800.They both have temp controled fans,but they are not wired up.

No pictures,But one is mounted on the passenger side behind the bumper.
With the hot trans fluild line going to it,then into the radiator cooler.

Then from the radiator trans cooler to the second BM trans cooler
mounted behind the divers side bumper.Then the fluid go's back to trans.

My temp gauge reads around 150 + degrees during my normal driving.
Never has it when over 175 during racing or hard use.I have fans
that came mounted on the coolers I bought.I have never needed
to run the fans,so I never wire them up.

I don't know if they are the best,but I like the plate style coolers.

Randy

Jimmy, I used the Derale Atomic cooler (30,000 gvw) and here is a picture of where I installed. Note that is gets its air from the slot in the front of the bumper and is setting in a approx a 45 deg angle. Picture is the engine oil cooler but the transmission cooler is the same except location is the other side of the car.
Mike Tuck

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 116
Back