not an SC tech question, but a Ford tech question

platinumsc7

Hi, I know this isn't an SC question, but it could apply to it. My girlfriend is having A/C problems on her 99 ZX2. The air used blow cold sometimes, but other times it would blow hot. Today it just quit working all together. She said it doesn't feel like the compressor is coming on ( it doesn't bog down either like it would when the air is on ). The belt is good ( only one belt ), and the blower motor is good. No defrost and no air though! I was wondering about maybe low refigerant or the cycling switch. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I will tomorrow. Thanks alot guys!Brian

It sounds like originally your a/c was low on freon, which would cause periodic warm spots. Unfortunatley, running it under these conditions long enough can cause compressor failure, as the freon carries the lubricating oil. Of course diagnosis should be performed to verify this. It seems odd to me a new a/c system would have low freon when its this new. Hoses were the primary source of freon escape in r12 systems, they have been changed on r134a to prevent this. Perhaps the car was under warranty when the problem surfaced, tho I assume it isn't now.

Could be something as simple as the pressure cutoff switch not functioning properly, but as the other guys suggested, it will need to be tested to verify the cause.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

here's the problem

Dude, check your muffler bearings. Sometimes they sag
real bad and rub on the A/C hoses warming them up causing
hot spots in the air. Mine were rubbing for so long it rubbed
through the freon line and injected freon into my throttle body.
My car ran so much better when this happened. I'm now
developing a freon injected induction system. It's coming along
pretty well.

j.

Back