rear wheel bearing

shawpdx1

bought a new bearing brought the hub down to the machine shop he said it looked good but its still wobbly ..there shouldnt be any play in it what a new bearing is put in right? or does that slop go away when u tourqe it down? I think the guy at the machine shop just started today he's got to be wrong has to be a bad hub I should be able to just spin that with no side to side play right?

If he pressed the bearing back into the hub there should be no play there. If you are spinning the hub assembly in place and it's still 'wobbly' either check the spindle for excess wear or torque up the axle with a new nut and check again. I recall that they require about 248 ft.lbs - so you need a good torque wrench.

You may want to read through this article:

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.php

A common mistake in installing the bearings is not supporting the bearing properly when pressing the hub back in. This can unseat the bearing and that will cause the bearings to come slightly out of the race and you will feel the wobble and that bearing will not last long.

yeah I ended up junking that hub and, bought one from u-pull it 30.00 whole assembly funny thing is this shop wanted 45.00 to press in the new bearing wich they ~~~~ so I let him keep it.

im really hoping this car handles better I have been scratching my head for months now just to get a smooth ride replaced almost every thing i can think of on it ..shocks,springs,sway bar bushings now the rear wheel bearing I know theres a good ride in her somewhere im wondering if my lower profile tires are the problem my buddys ride real nice and he has 160,000 I only have 100,000

Back