Head gaskets just went... what do i need to replace?

derekhay316

Head gaskets just went on my 89 SC. Just wondering what I need to replace here and part numbers etc... Is there anything I should be telling my mechanic to look for or any special procedures? Whats a rough estimate on how long it should take to replace? Thanks for the info.

x182dan said:
id say get felpro gaskets and get arp head bolts

yep. except i used the chubby 2.8 studs. this is also a good time to look at belts/hoses/water pump, motor/tranny mounts, and a good cleaning. im also gonna header wrap my lower IC tube. its pretty close to the exhaust:eek:

If you're not going to get the deck...decked to smooth it out, you may want to go with the stock Felpro replacement head gasket. Felpro makes a newer MLS gasket with a composite/rubber coating that is supposed to help with sealing on a not perfectly smooth surface, but they're not exactly proven in our engine. But if you feel like something better than the stock Felpro's you can go with this better gasket:
PermaTorque MLS gaskets which are a rubber coated 4 layer Steel gasket. The application is the 1997-2004 4.2l engine in a Ford F150. Right side # 9253PT and Left side # 9250PT.

ARP head studs are highly recommended for the additional clamping force they can generate. (ARP Head Studs #233-4303 (chevy 2.8 application) )

Back