Tranny Fluid Draining and Refill >?

Spider

i thought about draining my tranny fluid and using Royal purple but that stuff is kinda expensive at i think $9.00 a quart :eek:

after draining from the tranny how do i get the rest of the fluid out of my torque converter ?
the motor has about 175k miles but the tranny was rebuilt not to long ago.

and how many quarts will i need to buy to fill my tranny back up ?

im thinking its gonna cost a little more that i shoudl spend on this idea.

There is a drain plug on the front of the converter. You have to take the access pan off the bellhousing of the trans. The plug is accessed through a sight hole in the flexplate. You may have to turn the engine over a bit before you can see it. It's pretty small. I would get about 13-14 quarts just to make sure you are covered on fluid. Be prepared when you pull the plug on the converter. It doesn't come out fast, but that is where most of the fluid is. Make sure you have room in your drain pan for it.

By far the easiest and best way would be too call around to a few shops that you trust and ask if they have a transmission flushing machine (we have BG at my shop). What the mechanic would do is disconnect a transmission line from either the cooler or the radiator and connect it to the machine. The machine is then filled with transmission fluid and the vehicle is started (im sure they wouldnt have a problem using royal purple as long as it meets or exceeds the stock reccomendation. Also, they use 16 quarts just so you know).

On a side note there is also a cleaner that can be added that does an awesome job. As far as price its going to be more expensive than doing it yourself but it will save you time and aggrivation. Not to mention it will do a MUCH better job.

Dan

I grant you that changing tranny fluid is not my favorite job, it can be messy. However, if your tranny has a lot of miles I personally would never have it flushed by one of the commercial places. First of all in a high mileage tranny there will be quite a bit of black friction material in the pan and filter. This material will be then reflushed through the tranny which can't be good. Also, the filter is not changed by flushing which is important. I've heard many horror stories about tranny failure shortly after flushing a high mileage tranny. If you add a drain plug to the tranny pan while it's off, your next change will be a lot less messy. IMO just use Mercon/Dextron lll and if you change it about 25,000 intervals it will be just fine. I have not used it in a AOD, but others have used Mercon V which is a synthetic blend but 3 times the price. John

ok thats gonna cost a little to much atm, im thinking i shoudl just add a additive of somekind instead since the tranny was rebuilt a little whiel ago and im sure the fluid proboly doesnt need to be changed.

what additive should i use. Lucas Transmission Fix ? or something else.

im gonna be romping on this car since i liek to excellerate pretty fast so i need something that gives me good smooth shift and keep the temp down.

Back