Steering column loose?

JStudrawa

When I turn my wheel, I have about 2 inches of play. It'll turn then make an audible click as it hits the resistance of the column and turns the tires.

I do know I need new tire rods, and the bushings (rack and pinion bushings?) that have a tiny bit of play in them.

Though this feels more like it's in the steering wheel and column itself, I really am not educated on how it all works so am looking for things to check out etc. Thanks, guys.

There is a steering coupler inside the engine bay, with a rubber disk sandwiched in it to absorb some vibration. There is a U-joint in the footwell. There is a type of joint inside the column itself to allow for the tilt.

But it seems like you should fix your tie rods and rack bushings before you worry about any of this stuff.

Check the rag joint.

there is a connection from the steering column to the rack assembly by the driver's side exhaust manifold. You can see it from under the car. It could be that the bolts are loose, or the joint could be worn out.

I guess I wasn't quick enough in my typing.....

If the column is in fact loose, there are 4 nuts that hold it on.
To get to them, IIRC, you need to pull the bottom panel, under the column off. I recently pulled my whole dash out, about 4-6 months ago, so I don't exactly remember.

95badbird said:
If the column is in fact loose, there are 4 nuts that hold it on.
To get to them, IIRC, you need to pull the bottom panel, under the column off. I recently pulled my whole dash out, about 4-6 months ago, so I don't exactly remember.

True, but that would not really create play in terms of rotating the steering wheel.

Back