Widest Tire Size on a 17x8 MUSTANG GT rim

darkstar_one

Hey,

Whats up. Well i bought me some MUSTANG GT rims the ones with the 5 spoke similar to the cobra ones. and they are 17x8. Anywho. Now i gotta pick some tires for it. Im thinking of getting some NITTO NT555Rs for it but i dont know what size. I want the widest it would be able to go. I like wide tires. I dont want to lose ride height either because its already low that i have trouble getting up my driveway. What tires sizes should i get. thanks

Attachments

• bb_1.jpg
    bb_1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,036
I have the same exact wheels , I used them on my lincoln M7 but now they just sent in the closet.the tires I was runnin were 275-40zr-17. they are pretty wide

ndoftyme69 said:
I have the same exact wheels , I used them on my lincoln M7 but now they just sent in the closet.the tires I was runnin were 275-40zr-17. they are pretty wide

hey are u still running these tires? when you mounted them did u have any problems? i am thinking of putting 245's in the front and the 275's in the rear... thanks...

We go through this discussion every time someone asks about putting tires on that are too wide for the wheels they have.

275-40-17 has a minimum recommended rim width of 8.5". Less than that, you are compromising the performance of the tire. Having said that, there are lots of people with SN95 Mustangs who have done exactly what you propose to do. It's up to you to decide whether or not you wish to install the tires on wheels that are narrower than recommended by the tire manufacturers. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

ur mad or something. cuz it sure sounds like u are. i just wanted to make sure because in every thread people contradict each other and we just end up going nowhere. but dont be mad. i just would like to ask directly because of the whole contradicting stuff that goes on...

Note I'll be mounting 245-45-ZR17 tires on 8" wheels on the front that have a +38MM offset.

The rears will be 10" wide running a 275-40-ZR17 tire with a custom offset.

I'd listen to Fast Ed's recommendations. He's recommended it pretty regularly.

darkstar_one said:
ur mad or something. cuz it sure sounds like u are. i just wanted to make sure because in every thread people contradict each other and we just end up going nowhere. but dont be mad. i just would like to ask directly because of the whole contradicting stuff that goes on...

No worries, I'm not mad. It's only the Internet after all. :D

I'm just trying to make the point that the tire manufacturers specifically do not recommend doing what you are thinking of. And there are always people who will chime in to tell you that they or their friends have done it anyway, and it will be fine. Yes, you can squeeze that size of tire on to a narrower than recommended wheel. The only perceived benefit you might gain is an aesthetic one over the proper size tire for the wheel. Mounting tires on wheels outside of the proper width will reduce their ultimate performance. But depending on how you drive, it may not be a concern.

Those are the facts (as I see them). It's up to you to make the decision based on everyone's input, and your own judgement. :)

cheers
Ed N.

fast ed is right, when I was runnin 275 out back it wasn't really choice I was low on money and traded/sold my 17x9 cobras and wanted to keep my new tires,so i had the tires mounted on the ponies.it was fine for what i was using them for but you could tell that they were too big for the rim because the middle of the tire kinda sank in a lil bit,not real bad but noticeable.so the outsides of the tire was makin more contact with the road than the center which sucked for wear and performance.I also had em mounted on a lincoln mark 7 lsc so i couldn't tell ya how they would fit on a SC.it wasn't long before i bought new rims and tires only because i thought the 17's were too small for the car.I took pics of the tire on the rim to show how its fitted on the wheel but my g/f damn dog chewed up my usb cable so i can't load them.If I had a choice I woulda stayed with the 17x9 because that size was a perfect fit for the 275

ohh yeah thanks dudes. im going well 245's front and 255's back. yeah its cuz this tire thing drives me crazy and all... but thanks for the info. much appreciated. I didnt really know were to start looking for on OEM tire sizes. thanks anyways.

Last edited:
darkstar_one said:
ohh yeah thanks dudes. im going well 245's front and 255's back. yeah its cuz this tire thing drives me crazy and all... but thanks for the info. much appreciated. I didnt really know were to start looking for on OEM tire sizes. thanks anyways.

Just one thing I would add...You may as well run the same size all the way around the car. I would suggest a 255-45-17 as it is only .50" from stock height and you will be able to rotate your tires to help them last longer. Just a suggestion...

If you are looking for a staggered look you won't get it in using a 245MM/255MM setup anyways...

Brad

Back