PDA

View Full Version : timing cover????

super89
02-17-2006, 02:00 AM
what is involed in taking this off? can u show me pics or digrams? because i have to get the broken peice of my balancer off the cranks shaft and every other trick in the book hasnt work! these cars are driving me crazy there always broken!

thanks
BILL

Kurt K
02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't have any diagrams to show you, but when you think you have all of the bolts off, you probably don't. There's a small allen-head bolt on the bottom corner that's usually covered with silicone. I missed it the first time I removed a timing cover and broke the corner off.

mannysc
02-17-2006, 11:19 AM
yeah what he said .

and if you need one I have one let me know also have a good used balancer.
if you need a cheap replacement. but the bhj is best for a stout motor.

if not you can get a stocker semi cheap from ford

LJGriggs
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
If you can find a copy of the Haynes shop manual for thunderbirds, it has some pretty good pictures of all the bolt locations for the waterpump, timing cover, accessory brackets, etc. You have to look in several places in the book to find all the different views.

Mike8675309
02-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't have any diagrams to show you, but when you think you have all of the bolts off, you probably don't. There's a small allen-head bolt on the bottom corner that's usually covered with silicone. I missed it the first time I removed a timing cover and broke the corner off.

Yep, it's right behind the oil filter. This one...v
http://www.variedindustry.com/tutorials/bolts/alanbolt.jpg