Best method for improving heat escape

Mako

I realize that our SC's give off a lot of heat. And I can't believe how slow my SC is when it's hot and humid, not to mention that the engine always gets warm when I am sitting at stoplights in the summertime.

I know that I want to keep my SC running as long as possible, and I think everyone talks about keeping the engine cool to keep it lasting the longest.

Is the 180 themostat and fan mod the best way to keep the engine cool? It just seems like the heat has no where to escape. Once the engine gets warm, I can even get it cooled while going 70 on the expressway where I think air flow would keep the engine cool. Since the SC engine is allergic to heat, I want to know the best way to keep it cool without having the fan on all the time.

Mako

The best way to alter the fan would be to adjust the settings in the ecu, causing it to activate sooner. This would prevent the engine from getting as warm befor the fan came on. Your intercooler is the main reason the car runs cooler at high speeds; so to increase its efficiency at low speeds, add an intercooler fan. These can be found at various online sc parts vendors relativley cheap, and are easy to install. Significant differances can be noticed during idle and low speed. There has been mention to several new radical methods for cooling, including water injection. Low level kits are available for this cheap, and instructions are free. Those who have tried noticed significant improvment. Upgrading your exhaust would also help heat escape the engine more efficiently, especially with headers. Lastly the easiest way to keep it cool at low speeds and idle is to switch on the regular a/c, set the fan to low, and the temp wherever. At idle the difference in gas won't be noticable, and if you set the temp high it will cycle less often. If you don't use ac often, this also ensures freon/oil circulates through the system to prevent failure from lack of lubrication. I would start with the Intercooler fan first, as you experience this most often at reduced air flow levels.

Back