no fuel pressure

mkurkowski

hey guys,

I have been trying to figure out why my SC wont start and I have determined that there is no fuel pressure at the schrader valve by the supercharger. What is the most likely cause of this? What are all the possible things it could be?

thanks alot, max

mkurkowski said:
hey guys,

I have been trying to figure out why my SC wont start and I have determined that there is no fuel pressure at the schrader valve by the supercharger. What is the most likely cause of this? What are all the possible things it could be?

thanks alot, max

1) fuel tank is empty (doubt this is the case but you said ALL possible things:D )
2) inertia switch tripped (located in trunk on driver's side behind carpeting)
3) fuel pump gave up the ghost
4) fuel pump fuse blown
5) fuel pump relay blown
6) bad electrical connection or broken and/or grounded wire somewhere
7) broken, disconnected or pinched fuel line

May be some other things as well, but I am sure someone else will chime in if I missed something. In the mean time this should get you started. Check these out and let us know if ya find the problem.

You may want to consider getting a book like a Haynes Manual. They can prove to be quite worthwhile in diagnosing problems quickly.

just wanted to add a clogged fuel filter to the list as well. I also had a problem with the fuel delivery in the same manner. Mine turned out to be a bad fuse in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. I must have looked at those fuses a dozen times before one of my friends pointed that a fuse was bad. I also believe, my problem was a fuse that wasnt a dedicated fuel pump fuse, it controlled several things.
I will go out in the garage and take a look.

Rick

ok, I just braved to cold for ya, hope you appreciate it. The fuse that blew was either H or J in my 89 sc power distribution box. I dont remember which. H is for the fuel pump , an obvious choice and J is for the ingnition/blower motor. I hope the info helps.

Rick

Well, it's not really a FORD thing. It's a "fuel injected car" thing. Other than the inertia switch, everything else mentioned could be said about any fuel injected car.

Max, did ya find the cause of the problem yet?

No one had mention the FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR.

That was my problem with no fuel pressure about a year ago. Instead of buying a direct replacement, I opted to go for an adjustable one. I got mine from MN12 Performance.

Metalman

no, i haven't figured it out yet. i checked all the fuses and they're fine. is there any way to check the relay without just buying a new one and trying it? i don't think it's the actual fuel pump because it has been starting intermittently and it seems to me that if fuel pump went bad, it'd quit once and for all, does this sound logical? thanks for all the help.

P.S. Rick, thanks for braving the cold for me, i appreciate it.

If all the fuses are fine it's not the pump (you'll be able to hear that turn on when you turn your key), then I bet it's the fuel pressure regulator. If you already checked the pressure at the schrader valve and you've determined it is low and discounted all the 'easy fixes' then that's the only thing that's left.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but I was able to swap it out without removing the fuel lines. You have to take off the IC pipe. But I was able to get two of the three screws with a small allen wrench and the back on with an allen socket with a few extentions, a universal, and 3/8" rachet from under the car, feeding it behind the drivers side head.

I first put just the bit on the allen screw and then from underneath attached the extention to the allen socket. That made it a bit easier than trying to get the bit on the screw with everything attached.

Good luck!

Did you hit the reset button? I know it sounds crazy, but they do have a reset. Look at your owners manual it will point out where it is. Good luck scruffy328

Back