Trans and other problems

Pit Bird

This week I went out and accidently found a auto 94 sc in almost mint cond and had to have it. I was so overtaken with its condition I missed a few things. I bought the car for my wife so she could understand why I have spent a small fortune on my 92 sc 5 spd. Anyway the plastic radiator has a little leak that you really can not see unless you start looking. Also it has a leaky front seal in the trans. It is a little to cold to drop it in the driveway and just dropping almost 3K on the car my funding is a little low. I took it to the only trans shop around and the guy started to try to tell me it needs to be rebuilt and he could not just change the front seal that there was probably to much junk in the pan ect. Bottom line at least 1,200$ What I am wondering is the bellhousing unique to the SC's or is it the same as a N/A 3.8. I have dropped my M5R2 twice is the auto easier or harder to get in and out. The car has around 95,000 miles on it. I am also wondering if the rads in a 92 and a 94 were the same because I got a great deal on a lifetime war. rad locally. Direction and or sugestions would help my wife does not want to drive anything else since driving this car. I am trying to get off $$$ as easy as possible here

Do yourself a favor and don't rebuild the 94 transmission. Get a 99 up mustang v6 unit and modify it to work.
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
Do yourself a favor and don't rebuild the 94 transmission. Get a 99 up mustang v6 unit and modify it to work.
Alan
what kind of modifacations does this require

The rad. mounting brackets and the direction of the overflow spout are different. If it's a real steal for price you can make it work. I put a new '93 rad into my '94 last year - it was a bit of a tight fit and you just have to use a longer hose for the reservoir. Otherwise new metal rads are only $148 for these cars. As far as the trans is concerned, what is the color of the fluid like? If you don't know the service history I'd start with just changing the fluid & filter - that will at least give you an indication of the condition. the 94/95 4R70W auto trans do have their problems - it would be good to print & read the article on the TCCOA site for info. I would then check the accummulator pistons while you have the pan off and consider changing over to Mercon V fluid. My '94 with 128,000m also has a front seal leak and I just live with it - some say it can be due to the Mercon V. The most common driveability issue with the 94/95 trans is shudder during upshift and that is normally cured by flushing the fluid and changing over to MV. Although mine only had 15k on it when I bought it I changed the accumulator pistons, replaced the MLPS and solenoids; installed the bigger pan & filter plus a Transgo shift kit. It cost me about $400 at the local trans shop (I supplied the Mercon V). I've never had a problem since except for the small seal leak.

Back