Location of thermostat

Merlon

I am looking for the location of the thermostat in a 1990 sc. i looked in the upper rad hose, didnt find it, where shuold it be? i think i need to replace it, or take it out completly

It's in the housing that bolts to the front of the lower intake ... upper radiator hose connects to that housing.

cheers
Ed N.

Merlon said:
I am looking for the location of the thermostat in a 1990 sc. i looked in the upper rad hose, didnt find it, where shuold it be? i think i need to replace it, or take it out completly

If it is not there, then somebody before you already removed it. You do NOT want to do this, so if it's gone put one in.

If you remove it completely, when the weather gets warm again your car could actually run HOTTER than with a properly working thermostat. The reason for this is that with the thermostat gone the coolant flows so fast that the radiator doesn't have time to cool it down. In mild weather you are ok but in HOT weather (like the southwest desert areas) your car will (or can) actually run hotter.

good to know

i thought so, i live in california, so its usually warm, not hot. but the radiators there for a reason, even if its so tiny. i was thinking of taking out the old one anyways, and replacing with an aluminu one, thats bigger. i guess id have to do without A/C though.

Back