Rim Size question

Super XR7

Needing to determine rim size for future purchase of drag radials. What size rim can I put on the rear of the car with the following upgrades: 11.6 rotors and stock SC calipers with offset bracket.
Mike Tuck

Hey Mike

16" wheels will clear the rear Cobra brakes. So if you still have MN-12 bolt pattern, you can run stock MN-12 16" wheels. If you've swapped to Mustang bolt pattern when you did the brake upgrade, then you can use any of the SN-95 Mustang (94 - 04) factory 16" wheels. They are 7.5" wide, half an inch wider than the MN-12 wheels.

Of course wider aftermarket wheels are an option too. The 10.5" or 255 mm width DOT drag tires would work even better on wheels that are 8 to 9" wide.

cheers
Ed N.

fast Ed said:
Hey Mike

16" wheels will clear the rear Cobra brakes. So if you still have MN-12 bolt pattern, you can run stock MN-12 16" wheels. If you've swapped to Mustang bolt pattern when you did the brake upgrade, then you can use any of the SN-95 Mustang (94 - 04) factory 16" wheels. They are 7.5" wide, half an inch wider than the MN-12 wheels.

Of course wider aftermarket wheels are an option too. The 10.5" or 255 mm width DOT drag tires would work even better on wheels that are 8 to 9" wide.

cheers
Ed N.

I am running the standard 5.25" BC so I will need to find a 16" x 9" rim with that bolt circle. I now wish that I changed to the mustang bc but its too late now. Thanks for the help.
Mike Tuck

Not sure how much you'll find in a wheel that wide for MN-12 pattern. Likely 8 or 8-1/2" will be about it, unless you get into custom made stuff.

cheers
Ed N.

They used to offer a 16x8 Cobra R but I don't think you can get it anymore.

Good luck in that Mike, I've been looking for quite some time for a wheel that would fit. Custom is about the only way to go.

XR7 Dave said:
They used to offer a 16x8 Cobra R but I don't think you can get it anymore.

Good luck in that Mike, I've been looking for quite some time for a wheel that would fit. Custom is about the only way to go.

If I was to get two more 17" Cobra R's what would be the best tire? M/T drag radials or ?? Since I am running 3.55:1 and a wide ratio transmission I want to stick to about 26" OD tires. Your thoughts?
Mike

Anyone have any experience with the Hoosier drag radials yet? Some of the guys on the Mustang forums seem to like them, especially the 03 - 04 Cobra owners. Also noticed some drag radials when I was looking around on the Goodyear race tire site the other day ...

http://www.racegoodyear.com/pdf/2006_price_book/dot_drag.pdf

They have the usual 255-50-16 and 275-40-17. Haven't heard anyone mention them yet, new for 2006 maybe?

cheers
Ed N.

Back