mysterious coolant puddle

Phillio99

Well have leaving little coolant puddles in my driveway so I was looking for obvious leaks and i noticed i have some coolant on the top of water pump/ front cover area. Leaking thermostat gasket or coolant leaking past and up the water pump gasket? There was coolant on the wire loom underneath the engine which i have read could be a sign of a leaking timing chain cover? Just replaced water pump remembered to use sealant on #1 bolt. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Phil

A small puddle of coolant sitting on the top of the timing cover is a classic thermostat leak. You can check this by using a small inspection mirror under the t/stat housing. It's a very common leak, so start there with a new gasket; then if puddles continue take a closer look under the engine. Other common leaks are the lower radiator hose clamp and, depending upon the age of the car small leaks can develope in the coolant hoses that serve the oil cooler.

I just did a timing cover gasket on a 3.8 stang last weekend. Sounds like where the leak is coming from to me. Make sure to thoroughly check over the waterpump and thermostat gasket to make sure. It is a pretty long job if it is a timing cover gasket.

Just for a quick pointer, watch out for the bottom bolt holding on the timing cover on the driver side. It may different from the mustang I did, but it was an allan head, which was different then the rest. I don't remember my supercoupe being like that but watch for it just in case.

I thought I would add when you loosen the screw for air bubbles it can cause the thermostat housing to move and start leaking, I always try to use the wrench on it now when loosing the bolt so that doesn't happen.

Back