motor mount ???

sendo

hello, reading about motor mounts on these cars and now i am worried that mines are bad. there is a little vibration but i thought it was just the exhaust. i tried some of the test that people on here said to try.
i put it in drive and step on the gas and the driver side goes up just a little bit, the same thing for reverse.
i also tried to grab the top ic and shake it and it barly moved.
i looked at the oil filter,it is touching the wire loom, but there is a little room from the cross member.
i am not sure so i have some pics
thanks, Sendo

Attachments

• DCP_0002.JPG
    DCP_0002.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DCP_0003.JPG
    DCP_0003.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DCP_0001.JPG
    DCP_0001.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 68
took off the oil filter and saw that the wire loom is tie straped to a steel line that runs right under the oil pan, it has a rubber hose for protection and when i stick a screw driver in there i can move it. so that means the pan is not sitting on the cross member.
so i am ok right???
thanks for your guys imput.

If you are careful you can jack up the engine by the oil pan and check the mounts for separation. How many miles are on your car? I've only seen one set of good original engine mounts in an SC and that was on a lower mileage '95

From my experience and probably that of many others, is that the factory mounts are not cost effective. Although they do provide more in the means of dampening the effects of drive-train vibration, they tend to tear easily. And, once they do that, they are gone. Your best bet, is to invest in a set of solid mounts. They are cheaper than stock, to be sure. And if you aren't bent on being torque king with your motor, they will probably last longer than the factory units.

I have 118,000 on it, am going to jack up the engine and see if the mounts seperate, how much should i jack it up, till the car lifts off the jack stand? i was shopping around and notice that the solid mounts are cheaper then the hydraulic ones.
is there a certain brand to get or anybody recomend where to get them?
thanks,Sendo

Last edited:
With that many miles they are probably going to be bad. You get solid rubber mounts from Spinning wheels SC, SC Performance, MN12 Performance, or Rockauto.com

you should put the car on jackstands and then you can put a piece of wood on top of the jack your going to use to lift the engine. You only have to lift the engine about 1/4 in you can the get under the car and look at the mounts with a flashlight. Its real easy to see when the mounts are bad as they will seperate.

Dan

the problem is the stop tab has to much travel by the time it tops off the mount is stretched out . I fill in 1/4 inch of the opening up by welding it filling in the gap and grinding it flat the mount will never top out and wont break,

or just drill and tap a hole in the tab and use a peice of old tire to stop tab before it tops out . ill post a picture as soon as I can so you can see it makes mounts last twice as long.

I think they just rot because of age and the fluid in them didn`t help. I have never taken one apart that has not had atleast one bad motor mount. I found that Napa carries them for about $25 each.

Back