Alternator ratings

J

Joisey Jim

I'm still having some trouble with my 2 year old re-manufactured alternator; but when I went back to the store where I bought it (PepBoys) I noticed that the rating for the SC is only 110 amps versus 130 amps for the regular bird. Any idea why?

That doesn't sound right. When I replaced the alternator in my '92 NA T-Bird a few years ago I recall it being around 70amps. Not sure about the later model cars with the electric fans, but I'd be surprised if they got a larger alternator than the SC. What year were you looking at?

Joisey Jim said:
I'm still having some trouble with my 2 year old re-manufactured alternator; but when I went back to the store where I bought it (PepBoys) I noticed that the rating for the SC is only 110 amps versus 130 amps for the regular bird. Any idea why?

130amp is the usuall reman you will find not many will make the 110

It was strange that they specifically list 110 amp for the SC and 130amp for the regular n/a 3.8 bird. I just wondered if maybe it was a space problem due to the intercooler pipe or something. This was at PepBoys, so I'll try AutoZone and see what they list.

Joisey Jim said:
It was strange that they specifically list 110 amp for the SC and 130amp for the regular n/a 3.8 bird. I just wondered if maybe it was a space problem due to the intercooler pipe or something. This was at PepBoys, so I'll try AutoZone and see what they list.

You are going to find the same thing whereever you go unless they give you misinformation. The SC alternator is made by Mitsubishi and is a 110 amp alternator and the N/A cars are rated at 130. This is at least the way the 94-95's are but I don't know about earlier models.

Charles

Back