Splitfire Plugs

X

xThunderbirdSCx

I just got a set of splitfire split V style plugs for the car and was wondering if these plugs were any good?

I don't think they're bad. But I don't think they are any better than a regular Autolite or Motorcraft plug.

Not sure how Spli-Fires are on our engines but a good friend of mine tried them out in his drag race only 69 Dodge Dart 440 engine. My Bro and I were with him at the track on a test-n-tune day when he tested them. He normally ran NGK's and started off with them. Made a pass, then we put in the Split-Fire plugs and he made another pass. The results were a LOSS of nearly 2 tenths off his ET. He made another pass just to be sure and got the same results as the first pass with the Split-Fires. We then put the NGK's back in and another pass was made and he regained the near 2 tenths lost with the Split-Fire plugs.

After that he tried the same set of plugs in his truck (also a 440) and the only thing he noticed there was a SLIGHT increase in gas mileage which was quite likely due to them being new plugs replacing the old and very bad plugs that were in it.

Would be interesting to see what Split-Fires will do in our engines though. They just MIGHT work good. I wouldn't count on it though.

damn i had no idea they were still making spitfires. lots of people have bought them but i wouldnt run them in my lawn mower personally

Well i was just wondering cause i got a set, and i want to attempt to change them myself for the first time, and i dont want to have to do it over again if they destroy the engine :rolleyes: .
I mean i just dropped 5 c-notes into fixin my car, i dont wanna spend too much more.

xThunderbirdSCx said:
Well i was just wondering cause i got a set, and i want to attempt to change them myself for the first time, and i dont want to have to do it over again if they destroy the engine :rolleyes: .
I mean i just dropped 5 c-notes into fixin my car, i dont wanna spend too much more.

They aren't going to destroy the engine, but they probably aren't going to work any better than standard Motocraft or Autolite plugs either.

David

The Split-Fire LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The makers of the splitfire want you to believe that the plugs will give you 2 sparks, for the price of one. That's just a HUGE Pile of BULLSCHITT!!!!!

The spark WILL ALWAYS take the path of least resistance. You will get ONE spark ONLY, to either electrode.

I refuse to buy split-fires on principle. Their advertising flat out LIES to potential customers. They Know it, & so does anybody who knows anything about electronics!!!!!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

If you had lets say an MSD 6a box...Yah you could get two sparks going...

Regardless in my experience the plugs themselves arnt worth it

>The makers of the splitfire want you to believe that the plugs will give you 2 sparks<

From the box, I read the theory was the air charge mixture ignites more efficiently via more direct route through the 'V' part, rather then the air/gas mixture going around the side electrode as in other spark plugs, it can travel upward through the "v" notch into the combustion chamber and improve combustion? http://www.splitfire.com/splitfire.htm

I had NKG Iridiums. After about a month, I got a missfire at WOT, starting at around 4500 rpm, the gap hap opened up on a couple of plugs compared to the others. My guess is Iridiums require a much smaller gap than stock .046"?

Anyway replaced Iridiums with the Splitfires, a couple of months ago and no more missfire, and 1/4 mile time dropped 4 tenths. (note I had a missfire)
My guess mileage has always sucked so I have no insight there.

More LIES from Splitfire

sail7seas said:
the air charge mixture ignites more efficiently via more direct route through the 'V' part, rather then the air/gas mixture going around the side electrode as in other spark plugs, it can travel upward through the "v" notch into the combustion chamber and improve combustion?
More LIES from the splitfire BULLSCHITT pile!!!!! The spark will only travel from the positive electode, to some part of the negative electode. It will NEVER travel past the electrode into the center of the combustion chamber.

Since the spark can ONLY be from electrode to electrode, the flame front must travel "around" the negative electrode regardless of which part of the electrode the spark goes to.

68COUGAR

Back