Flange

Young-SC-Owner

What sensor goes under the metal flange on the engine block? oil pressure or water temp i think those are the ones that both fit...-Thanks-...

most likely the knock sensor, it's located on the passengers side of the block under a metal shield to keep the heat from the manifold off of it. It's right in the center of the block between two freeze plugs.
Hope this helps,
Greg

EDIT: Now that you have the pic posted it's definately the Knock sensor the one on the left in the picture. The one on the right is the Oil pressure sensor, and is located on the front driver's side of the block right above the oil pump when the timing cover is installed.

Last edited:
The way the knock sensor is mounted, it has a plug that screws into the block and actually goes into a water passage, I used a lot of teflon tape on that part and then the sensor screws into the plug that goes into the block, this I don't believe needs any sealant as it basically just senses harsh knock vibration. If anyone knows any correct sealants to use let us know!
To seal the oil pressure sensor just use teflon tape around the threads.
Good luck on the rebuild, it's lookin' good:cool:
Greg

The sensor on the left doesn't need anything on the threads since it isn't exposed to coolant. The fitting that the knock sensor screws into does so make sure that is sealed.

The sensor on the right is the oil pressure sending unit that threads into a fitting on the driver side of the timing cover.

The oil pressure sensor is the one on the right in the picture it is threaded into a small extension tube comming out of the block. the arrow in your pic I put in points to the area where you should be looking for it. It is sort of on the side of the area where the timing cover bolts up to the block, there is an extension tube that should be there that the sensor threads into making it easier to get to when the engine is assembled.
Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• oil sensor location.JPG
    oil sensor location.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 53
Back