need help with fuel pump

phyxius

i am in the process of changing a fuel pump on a 90 xr7 and don't really feel like droping the tank.so dose any one have pics of how big a hole to cut and where in the floor it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I would even try cutting an access hole without first lowering the tank. Because the fuel lines and wiring to the pump are going to be too close.

It's really not that hard to drop the tank once the exhaust is out of the way. Just make sure the fuel level is as low as possible before unbolting it.

David

half way

I just changed my pump a couple weeks ago.
The hardest part for me was getting the two hoses on the back of the tank off.
I think the job could have been done without removing those two hoses and just lowering the front of the tank. All four bolts still have to come out though.
Rig up some kind of flat support to your jack for moving the tank up and down and it's not that bad.

Bob

It can be done that way because I did it on mine. The biggest problem in as David said the fuel lines are almost touching and if you go through the metal even a little to much you wll cut or nick the fuel lines which will cause more work than if you drop the tank. I did mine in 30 minutes and I guess I count myself as lucky that I didnt create a bigger problem by trying to simpleify installation. It was a quick exchange and I made a thin metal plate and pop riveted it over the hole and sealed it with a little silcone caulk

Ken

I agree with Dave, dropping the exhaust is the worst part. Second-worst is removing the fill and vent hoses, but that depends on how the screw clamps are oriented (could be any which way, I think).

Ken - could you remove your seat and take some pictures or give us some dimensions for cutting an access hole? ,

Joisey Jim said:
Ken - could you remove your seat and take some pictures or give us some dimensions for cutting an access hole? ,

I can do that. I usually pride myself on doing real nice looking custom work, but in this case I had to cut a small hole out than enlarge it so it ended up looking not so sweet. I swapped out the pump and pop riveted some metal strips to hold it back together. Not my best work. My exhaust at the time was completely welded so I would have had to drop it from rear to front. I am redoing that mistake right now. As I said before as well as others, if you cut or nick the fuel line, theres hell to pay. It will be a day or so before I get over to the shop and get you a picture

Ken

WHY would you cut a hole in your car to save a little effort. Swapping fuel pumps (actually i swapped in a new tank and new pump at the same time) was the easiest project so far with this car.

Dave Dalke just changed my pump. He showed me a neat trick on how to drain the fuel.
I dont remember how he did it exactly, but he unplugged the fuel line in the engine bay and put it into a portable gas container. Then he took a wire and connected 2 terminals in the EEC or something in the passenger side engine bay and did a KOEO and the fuel just started pumping. It was pretty neat, ask him how he did it. Its better than driving around just to waste the gas.

Joisey Jim said:

I had sealed the opening with some sheet rubber but cut a blue patern for the size & location of the hole. The two lines are where the fuel lines run under the floor and are just touching so you have to be careful not to get into the fuel lines

Ken

Attachments

• SC pictures 1 011.jpg
    SC pictures 1 011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 184
Back