XR7 Dave Any New Info On Alternative Harmonic Balancer

SC'er

I will be needing to buy a new balancer for my '94 within the next couple months. You have mentioned the development of a balancer other than the BHJ. Any new updates.

Thanks

Dale Clements

XR7 Dave said:
The prototypes are not complete. They are definitely coming but I can give no release date yet. I expect it to be sometime this spring.

Im just typing this to meet the minimum 10 words. :)

Daves real dependable and isnt the type to not follow through with a project. I would wait and see how this is progressing before saying the glass is half empty

Ken

It's ok, I was warned about saying anything too soon. :D I was just excited that we have a large company actually listening to us and working on a product specifically for us but I guess I jumped the gun a little.

The product is in prototyping. The part numbers are in the 2006 Catalog showing that the company is serious about doing this, but the timeline is vague. That's all I can tell you. I hope to see them any day but I would not suggest that you hold yourself up on account of it.

I posted an update on the thread in "New products and services" but is says pretty much the same thing I just said here.

"No updates are available it this time."

:)

Re:

Dave,

Thanks for the info! Right after posting this I found the other thread in the "New Products" section. Sorry to make you post twice with the same info. I (as I'm sure others here) appreciate all the valuable knowledge you bring and also your steadfast pursuit of new vendors and technologies for our cars!!

Dale Clements

theres still the possiblity of a TCI rattler if we can get 50 orders together. it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago when i spoke to them. this would be a 12,000 rpm sfi approved balancer

22lbsofboost said:
theres still the possiblity of a TCI rattler if we can get 50 orders together. it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago when i spoke to them. this would be a 12,000 rpm sfi approved balancer

What would the cost be?

XR7 Dave said:
It's ok, I was warned about saying anything too soon. :D I was just excited that we have a large company actually listening to us and working on a product specifically for us but I guess I jumped the gun a little.

The product is in prototyping. The part numbers are in the 2006 Catalog showing that the company is serious about doing this, but the timeline is vague. That's all I can tell you. I hope to see them any day but I would not suggest that you hold yourself up on account of it.

I posted an update on the thread in "New products and services" but is says pretty much the same thing I just said here.

"No updates are available it this time."

:)
Dave, you can always look at it this way.... If we all start buggin you and keep asking for updates then you will know for sure that you are doing the right thing in getting this part made available to us. I plan to buy one when they come out. My balancer is CURRENTLY just fine and as long as it holds out and shows no signs of failure I will hold out. Hopefully I can wait till this new one is "ready for primetime".

Thanx Dave for getting this going for us. We all know how much an alternative is needed for the balancer/dampener and (as stated a couple posts up) your efforts are appreciated.

TCI rattler price please! Im sure theres 50 people out there in need of a balancer.

kenewagner said:
Daves real dependable and isnt the type to not follow through with a project. I would wait and see how this is progressing before saying the glass is half empty

Ken

I have every confidence in Dave and appreciate the initiative he takes on our behalf.Its the manufacturers that I dont trust.

xThunderbirdSCx said:
TCI rattler price please! Im sure theres 50 people out there in need of a balancer.

it was gonna be 3 and change if i remember correctly.
maybe if 5 or 6 people called TCI they would realize that they need to build this.
he did say 50 orders and they would build in 2 weeks.

xThunderbirdSCx said:
50 people willing to pay a huge price for a 12000 rpm SFI approved balancer????

I will believe THAT when I see it. Seriously, I doubt there are 50 people who have the need or desire to have one of those. That would be for straight up race engines that REQUIRE those kinds of parts. I don't know what the price on the TCI Rattler will be, but you can bet it will be more than the BHJ currently available and a LOT more than the alternative Dave has in the works.

22lbsofboost said:

That price is decent enough and I would pay that for an SFI balancer. There will be a few people looking for SFI balancers as time goes on but I have my doubts that it will ever amount to more than 50. It's way too bad that this wasn't explored as an option several years ago. Instead of paying $350-400 for a non-SFI BHJ, we could at least have had a product that was SFI certified.

As usual, hind-sight is better than foresight and I think if BHJ had any inkling that they were going to sell literally hundreds of balancers, they might have spent the extra time and money to get us an SFI unit.

Nonetheless, we have what we have. The balancer that I am working on will be a less expensive option. It will be an all steel unit (with elastomer). I can't speculate on price too much but I expect it to be no more than half of what the BHJ is. We deserved to have an inexpensive solution to our cronic balancer problem a long time ago, it's just too bad it took (and is still taking) so long. It looks like I'm going to have to go with a BHJ on my own motor due to the delays on this one.

22lbsofboost said:
maybe if 5 or 6 people called TCI they would realize that they need to build this.
he did say 50 orders and they would build in 2 weeks.

I seroiusly doubt you could get money from 6 people, let alone 50. As far as the tech inspector at the track knows....I'm running a stock balancer ;)

David

BTW, at what ET or MPH is an SFI balancer required ?

Back