b&m hammer shifter

Suprchgdbird

My friend offered me a deal on a b&m hammer shifter part #80885 ( the universal one ) brand new in the box for $50.00. Of course I bought it with a smile. I have done the searches on this site on installing it which seems to be easily done. My question is do you have to run a toggle switch for the overdrive to work? I had read somewhere that you do have to run a switch for the overdrive to ingage, Is this true? I also know that I need to purchase the linkage kit part #40496. My car is a 91 sc. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanx John.

You would only need the momentary switch if you had a 4R70W equipped car. Since your car is a 91, you have a AOD, and will not require a switch to engage/disengage OD.

-Rod

Rod is correct...and by that, I mean you should sell it to me for a mere $25 dollars and cut your losses.

Chris

I use a toggle switch in conjunction with mine, but that is for the Lentech overdrive delete that I have installed in my valve body.

seawalkersee said:
Rod is correct...and by that, I mean you should sell it to me for a mere $25 dollars and cut your losses.

Chris

Chris, I'll pay $25 in shipping and he can give it to me.:D
One question about the B&M shifters while we're here, does the cable need to go off the front of the shifter or the rear? I've looked at B&M's site and it seems the Hammer, Quicksilver and Megashifter would work with our cars. I can't decide which I like the best.

Thank you for the quick reply and knowledge. I will be installing this as soon as my linkage kit comes in from summitt racing.

The Hammer works with the console, or without it if you get the bigger shifter cover. It sits about 3/4" to far to the rear for the plate to line up nicely, so I enlarged the cable hole just big enough for the cable support to slip forward a bit and it fit's like factory.

BTW, the black plastic of the Hammer matches the black plastic of the SC to the eye. For some reason, the SC's black plastic looks blue in the Pix.

Attachments

• shifter 1 (2).jpg
    shifter 1 (2).jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 532
  • shifter 2 (2).jpg
    shifter 2 (2).jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 931
  • shifter 3 (2).jpg
    shifter 3 (2).jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
It's a ratchet shifter, so when pulled down into low gear, it will only shift one gear at a time, so you don't over shift or miss a gear.

Perfect thats just what I need. When Iam racing I really dont like to think about did I move the shifter right.:D

Back