Removing front bumper cover questions

lrsudog

How hard is it to remove the front bumper cover on the '90 SC?

I'd like to install a front intercooler fan and fan cooled tranny cooler, and don't want to go to the trouble of removing the FMIC, Radiator, and AC evap unit.

It's not too difficult....I just did it tonight. There are 4 phillips screws on each side (3 in the wheelwell, one on the bottom) and one phillps screw in the middle bottom. There is one bolt (5.5mm or 7/32) on each side behind the corner lights...yes, you have to remove the corner lights. There are 2 nuts (13 mm, I think) on each side that hold the bumper to the fender, from the inside. There are 4 plastic push connectors holding the bottom of the cover to the bumper. I think that's it.

The hardest part for me is the last thing....where the cover slides into the bumper (between the headlights), you have to "pop" that out. My tabs aren't very worn down, so they are a pain to pop out. I usually get one of my bigger screw drivers and gently pry the gap apart a little.

Oh yeah, it helps to have a helper.

That still sounds easier than pulling the radiator, FMIC, and the AC core. Less gooey too.

Thanks!

Two tips:

1. To remove the 2 nuts on each side holding the bumper cover on: Your best bet is to remove the 2 or 3 screws on each side holding the fender liner on (don't miss the ones one the bottom of the bumper cover), then reach in that way with a ratchet. I think they are 11mm nuts.

2. It can be hard to get the bumper cover separated from the header panel. I took them out as a unit, which might help you out. Or it might not - I guess it depends on how hard it is to separate the h.p. from the b.c..

S_Mazza said:
2. It can be hard to get the bumper cover separated from the header panel. I took them out as a unit, which might help you out. Or it might not - I guess it depends on how hard it is to separate the h.p. from the b.c..
I never thought about removing the header panel too. Usually, after a few choice 4-letter words I cane get them separated. :rolleyes:

Oh, that reminds me. It can be hard to get them back together also, so if you are replacing either the bumper cover or the header panel, make sure that those tabs fit into the holes before you bolt everything else back together. I know this because I mounted an aftermarket header panel with holes that were just a tad too tight, and I couldn't fit the bumper cover tabs into it. I was not amused. :rolleyes: Nothing a file or grinder can't fix, though.

Back