Do i have leaky fuel injectors???

Broham

I've been having a problem lately with my car and i wanted to know if the problem could be leaky fuel injectors...
If i let my car sit over night, or for 8 hours or more, i get really hard starts. It will crank and crank and when i let off the key it kind of coughs/sputters but dosn't start. After about 5 or 6 long tries it will finally start up, at which point it usually lets out a puff of black/blue smoke and smells like gas. If i shut it off right away and try to start it up again it starts with no problems...
Injectors?
Thanks
broham

Last edited:
start

I am having the same problem. It just started happening to me. I will lelt you know what I find out.

I would have agreed, but the fact that you are getting blue smoke implies oil - perhaps the valves are leaking. If enough oil enters the cylinders, starting could be rough after sitting. Check the spark plugs for signs of fouling or any abnormal wear.

When you shut off the engine, remove the vacuum tube from the fuel pressure regulator, if fuel comes out, then it’s bad (located behind the SC on the drivers side). This sounds more like a bad cam position sensor, and it doesn’t always show a code. To see if you have a leaky injector connect a fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve, turn the ignition on and after the fuel pump stops running (about 2 seconds) turn the ignition off. Watch the gauge if the pressure bleeds off then you might have a leaky injector. The fuel rail should hold pressure for more than an hour.

Only use the fuel injector that hooks up to the schrader valve the stuff you put in the tank is worthless as tits on a boar hog. You can find the can stuff at Car Quest or Napa, or if you really want to get them clean send them to me I have an ultrasonic cleaner/test stand/flow bench.

Jeff

Broham,
I remember you posting the same troubles some time ago. Sounds like a bad cam sensor to me, both my cars do that from time to time. Try holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine over AFTER it has sat overnight. This cuts out the injectors so the computer doesn't keep pumping in fuel.
Dustin

Back