B & M Ripper Shifter

well i have one installed in my SC before i even drove it out after i did a 5 speed conversion. i couldnt find the parts to rebuild the old one so i just coughed up the 165 bucks for the ripper shifter and i like it. its nice and stiff and very easy to get into the gears. they are just there so easy to get into... my friends said they have never seen anything like it....

i had a tight stock shifter, and now the ripper, of course the shorter throws is a plus, but the think i like about the ripper is the quick response in the spring to neutral, it is a much tighter shift and you know you are in the gear... just a little more comfortable than the stock shifter but well worth the money

I had some "issues" finding 3rd gear at the track with the stock shifter. After switching to the Ripper shifter it hasn't been a problem at all so it was more than worth it for me.

SCme94 said:
I had some "issues" finding 3rd gear at the track with the stock shifter. After switching to the Ripper shifter it hasn't been a problem at all so it was more than worth it for me.

If I haven't told it earlier your SC is awesome!! :cool:

Bias Springs

My Ripper came with 2 Bias Springs. The bias spring, is what makes the shifter find neutral so easily. You can install the light spring, the heavy spring, or BOTH. I tried all 3 combinations. I found that I like using Both bias springs. With both springs, the shifter finds 3rd gear almost automatically.

68COUGAR

T-Handles

Dirk SC said:
I just ordered one today and because of this thread I am getting all excited now:D :D :D
Also, you can make the Ripper pattern even shorter, by putting a Hurst or B&M T-Handle on the OEM shift lever. The T-handle is shorter than the OEM shift knob. Angle the T-handle about 15 degrees & it will feel more natural in your hand AND help you make the 2-3 shift!!!!!!!

Both Hurst & B&M make T-handles with an electric (thumb) button in the end for activating "fun stuff" like nitrous, DIC sprayers, or line locs.

68COUGAR

lol, Talk about free advertising.I'm reading the replies and thinking infomercial in my head,lol. I plan on getting one when 5 speed swap is done or I get a 5 speed SC,whatever comes first.

I have one.
The stock shifters on all the 5-speeds I have tried were more loose than well, nevermind!
The ripper is excellent, no work to find the gears, and I don't even have to lift my elbow off the console to shift. Can be done with the wrist only all day long...
Buy one if you have a 5-speed with a stock shifter!

paul;)

Is the installation an easy job?!

I already have bought it but it's still on a way to me...hope I have it soon! :cool:

BTW...how much did you pay for it?

Sampo said:
Is the installation an easy job?!

I already have bought it but it's still on a way to me...hope I have it soon! :cool:

BTW...how much did you pay for it?

EBAY, 160 bux. I found mine here new for 125 from one of the guys....
If you know how to get the center console out and spin a wrench, you're good to go.... I think the shifter came with decent swap directions, actually....
Give yourself an hour if u never did it b4.

paul

Locktite the Handle Bolts!!!!!!!!

thirdbird said:
If you know how to get the center console out and spin a wrench, you're good to go.... I think the shifter came with decent swap directions, actually....Give yourself an hour if u never did it b4. paul
Also use a LOT of locktite on the 2 handle bolts. Mine kept loosening up on me. I finally bought some new allen head bolts & completely coated the threads in red loctite. Hasn't loosened up on me since.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
Also use a LOT of locktite on the 2 handle bolts. Mine kept loosening up on me. I finally bought some new allen head bolts & completely coated the threads in red loctite. Hasn't loosened up on me since.

68COUGAR

Be careful NOT to use the PERMANENT stuff!

Just ordered one today from C&C Performance (Stephen Crist's Ebay Store) for $160.

Now everyone in Atlanta can get off my back!

I swear, it's like high school down here. You're not cool unless you have a Ripper :)

Just got mine today and it does come with very good instalation instructions and one detailed diagram. Im going to stick with the stock handle for now though. I already have a perferated leather shift nob and a switch panel for all my goodies:D .

Dirk SC said:
Just got mine today and it does come with very good instalation instructions and one detailed diagram. Im going to stick with the stock handle for now though. I already have a perferated leather shift nob and a switch panel for all my goodies:D .

Dirk, where did you get your shift knob? My stock one is wearing and looking for something that looks similar (black leather that matches the boot).

Back