water in oil don't mix

sendo

whats up, bought my car a week ago 95/auto, and i just did the motor mounts. then i was going to change the oil, i remove the drain plug and some water came out. shouldn't the two mix when running? i checked the dip stick when i bought it, there was no chocolate shake. the car ran fine, i drove it home 80 miles and it did not get hot. its gotta be the head gasket right?

If your not a fix-er-up yourself kinda guy, then find a frien who is. parts probably around $100. Heads ressurfaced $120 or so. Labor probably $400 i'd say

If you have the right tools Headgaskets aren't that hard to do. I did mine in my garage in about 9-10 hrs. The only place here that would try to do them was the Ford Dealership and they wanted a hair over a thousand to do it(they said the only way to do it was to pull the engine out). A complete uppergasket set from an auto parts place will probably run you $90 or so and the new headbolts run about $40 per side (you need new ones because they are non-reuseable torque-to-yeild bolts).

Intake gasket

It might be the intake gasket.
I was changing my engine mounts when I noticed that there was a little coolant dripping around the t-stat housing.
The leak was from the intake manifold to head coolant passages.
Previous to that there was a little water/oil (grey sludge) on the bottom of the oil filler cap.
I figured that it was probably the head gaskets as well at the time.
But the car did not overheat, smoke, or have an erratic temp gauge.
Once I pulled the intake manifold off I found the problem.
The front coolant passages were leaking into the engine causing my oil to become a little yucky. There was a clump of guck right below the passage.
I replaced the intake manifold gasket and all has been great since.
That was over a year ago.
That area is prone to leak over time.
Bill

sendo said:
about how much does it cost to get it done at a shop?

I have heard quotes anywhere from $1200 to $1800 to do the job at a shop. I have done the same job for less then $200 in my own garage on my own time. Good luck!

Shane

now or later headgaskets

well it's been another five months or so and the car still runs good, no smoke no sludge on the dip stick, not over heating.But when I change the oil there is a little bit of coolent before the oil at the drain plug.:confused:
I bought the head gasket kit thinking it was going to go out. If you guys were me would you wait and keep driving it, or just go ahead and change them?
ps. it is about 2oz. of coolent
thanks, Sendo

sendo said:
I bought the head gasket kit thinking it was going to go out. If you guys were me would you wait and keep driving it, or just go ahead and change them?
thanks, Sendo
I think I would start with a leak down test and pressurization of the cooling system and see what it has to say before making any decisions.

Paul

I agree with paul. Alot of people jump the gun becuase its a common problem. Parts and head work alone are about $500. Go to a shop with the rescources to properly test if the gaskets need replaced.

sendo said:
well it's been another five months or so and the car still runs good, no smoke no sludge on the dip stick, not over heating.But when I change the oil there is a little bit of coolent before the oil at the drain plug.:confused:
thanks, Sendo

The one thing I would be VERY concerned with is that coolant getting to your bottom end bearings, because if it is, I can bet those are getting chewed up BIG time and you could have way more problems in the future, and in fact could be too late now.

Glycol and bearings do not mix what so ever. Get things tested and find out where that coolant is coming from, then get it fixed.

Frit

but if the coolent was going though the bearings wouldnt i see it in the oil, like on the dip stick(grey sludge) the dip stick is clean oil.
thanks, Sendo

how many miles on yur bird? if its over 90K and hasnt been properly maintained, its porb got blown head gaskets. it has to be either the intake gasket or the head gaskets, whatever it is you need to find it now before it really tears itself up, and trust me it will, like what was said in another reply it may already be too late, i wouldnt be even starting it after i saw water in the oil. try the intake gasket first, its not very hard and you can do it yourself, if thats not it it almost has to be the head gaskets, or possibly the oil cooler is leaking antifreeze into the oil?? i have a 95 f-250 that did that but i was told that normally doesnt happen and that it was a freak one in a million thing, they have the same type water/oil coolers as sc's do.

I have about 130,000. is the leak down test a compression test?
here are some pics

Attachments

• DCP_0033.jpg
    DCP_0033.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DCP_0038.jpg
    DCP_0038.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 83
Back