Caliper and E-Brake Problem

Young-SC-Owner

Well I was in the car today cleaning and i realized i never tryed the e brake so i pulled it up and put it back down but it was stuck and i found where it was sticking and its the passenger side caliper at the e brake spring/cable part that goes nto the caliper and i ioled it and pryed it back with a screwdriver and i did that a few times and it got a little better but any hints would be helpful and 2nd i tryed to take the caliper off but it seems to me the guy didnt use anti seize so i had to heat it up with a little torch and with a socket and hammer got that one loose and out no harm done but the one on the bottom of the caliper is a pain in the A** and the e brake spring is in the way so is the cable end bracket thingy then i realized it was a torx also and i dont have the right size(figures) and the size and any hints would be helpful..thanks -Tony-

Well, I am a little confused as to what info you need. But I can tell you this: Don't remove that bolt holding the e-brake spring on unelss you absolutely have to. It's a pain to get back on. No to mention that the spring might fly off and nail you.

Try taking the caliper & bracket off together - should be just 2 regular bolts (15mm I recall into the back of the spindle). Most likely the caliper/e-brake mechanism has seized and you might be best to just get a remanufactured replacement unit, especially if it's an 89 SC. As already stated don't unscrew that small peg that restrains the spring without first clamping the spring; as it's only half the thickness you see (like 1/8" dia. screwed into the caliper versus 1/4" dia. where the spring sits) - as soon as you try unscrewing it will break off due to the spring force (bin there done that). What happens with most of the 4 wheel disc brake cars (which is why lots of manufacturers are going back to rear drums) is that if you don't change the brake fluid, say every 5 years, moisture builds up behind the piston and rusts that mechanism in place.

Last edited:
Whats happenign is it was stuck and its getting better the more i pull the e brake and let off go to the back pry it back but it just gets time consuming with one person i put MMO on it and some gear lube to see if that helps and i havent checked yet today....and as with the 15MM bolts o know that but i cant get a socket or box end back there so i needed to know the torx size thats all thanks-tony-

ok i found the torx but i cant fit it back there ~~~ do i have to do to get it off honestly its so easy its complicated i cant finger out a way w/o taking the spring off and if i do that ill eff it up

I'm a little confused because it's hard to visualize without pictures. It seems strange that the spring is in the way. I didn't have a problem with it on my 1990. Maybe you could compress the spring and then restrain it with some large hose clamps or something? But try that at your own risk - I can't really advise you too well without seeing what you are seeing.

thats it if its too messy tell me ill try again EDIT.The spring is in the way of the torx caliper bolt and the ebrake bung doesnt want to retract with the spring when i put ebrake down well it goes like 1/2 way maybe

Attachments

• p1010001.jpg
    p1010001.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 63
Back