95 sc trany problems

Mcnuff

ok bought a 95sc 3months ago now i'm having big problems with my autotrany.
when downshifting (decelerating) its very jerky and when starting from a standstill it gets stuck in neutral....now when i put it in 2nd it work alright. it wouldn't bother me so much if the dang thing hadden't been rebuilt
30 000kms ago

someone please help i've heard numerous explnaitions but never the same one twice so i'm swinging in the dark

And the reason is......................................?

Dirtyd0g said:
Junk the 95 transmission get a late 3.8 mustang transmission and modify it to work. Alan
Perhaps you would enlighten us, as to why you think the new Mustang tranny is better? What Mustang? What Tranny? What Year?

Curious 68COUGAR

It's not a matter of think. I would suggest a 03/04 transmission but you will need to change the output shaft in it because those won't have teeth for the speedo. Any 98 up transmission is a vast improvement. I don't feel like getting into all the details right now it's been done before.
Alan

so you tell him to junk his, modify a v6 trans, and then you dont feel like telling him how/why? weak.
oh they gots the mad dynax 850 clutch material in them i bet. everything else sucks rotton monkey anus right?

Last edited:
You seem to have a bad attitude. If you read these forums you will find alot of threads addressing the issues from valvebody design to roller clutch, clutch stacks and even the case and output shaft. I personally get sick of typing the same information over and over. yes everything but the dynax850 sucks " rotten monkey anus" do you feel better now?
Alan

Could be lots of things but I'd try replacing the MLPS (shift mechanism on the side of the trans) because earlier models (94/95) had bad gaskets and moisture gets in & screws it up. Do you have any info on the re-build?, plus I'd suggest you read the article on the TCCOA site (long) about the 4R70W trans. Hopefully you can check out what was re-built and how that compares to what is recommended. I did the MLPS, accumulators, solenoids, bigger pan & gasket, used Mercon V fluid, plus a Transgo shift kit at 25k in my 94. Now I have 128,000m and so far so good.

The 94/95 Transmissions arent as good as the 98+ style which have an updated Intermediate Clutch and a few other updated internals ( output shaft, snub shaft, 99+ has a better valve body ) and they already come with the better torque converter (94 is bad) and the updated Trans pan, accumulator pistons, etc etc ( 97+) ..

Dirty Dog / Not everybody has the ability to rebuild a transmission .. so simply picking up an 03/04 transmission, and then having to tear it all down to replace the Output shaft is out of the question for most people ( in which case it would be better to buy the hardened 98+ shaft instead of re-using the 95 shaft ) .. so if a specific rebuild is in question, it may be better to point him in the right direction .. like you said, this topic has been discussed many times before.

Joisey Jim / The MLPS sensor is updated in the 95 version, the 94 are the ones with a problem.

Mcnuff / you may be interested in reading the Technical article on Transmissions at www.tccoa.com .. there is alot of information on the various modifications, etc etc ..

If your transmission has jerky shifts, it could be a number of things, it could be a broken accumulator piston springs or something along those lines.
The slipping of the transmission from 1st gear may be from the forward clutch rings on the stator shaft. They should have replaced the shaft with a new one if its being rebuilt and not re-use the original one.

You said that the transmission was rebuilt not long ago, what happened with the old one ? Did it blow, or did you simply rebuild it ? Was the Radiator flushed, or replaced ? Are you using Mercon V fluid and a Transmission Cooler ?
Most importantly, Did they re-use all of your original parts in the rebuild ?? If so its only a matter of time before things start acting up again if you were having problems before.

- Dan

Thats exactly why I said any 98 up transmission is a vast improvement. A 98-02 transmission will not require dissasembly. What shaft you use will depend on gearing you choose the 8 tooth shaft is best but if you have low gears you would need a speedcal to correct it.
Alan

Joisey Jim said:
Could be lots of things but I'd try replacing the MLPS (shift mechanism on the side of the trans) because earlier models (94/95) had bad gaskets and moisture gets in & screws it up. Do you have any info on the re-build?, plus I'd suggest you read the article on the TCCOA site (long) about the 4R70W trans. Hopefully you can check out what was re-built and how that compares to what is recommended. I did the MLPS, accumulators, solenoids, bigger pan & gasket, used Mercon V fluid, plus a Transgo shift kit at 25k in my 94. Now I have 128,000m and so far so good.

someone else told me that so maybe i'll try that first sounds sounds pretty minor than i'm just gonna go have my trany guy look at it i am by no means a mechcanic let alone a trany expert thanx for all ur input everyone

Dirtyd0g said:
You seem to have a bad attitude. If you read these forums you will find alot of threads addressing the issues from valvebody design to roller clutch, clutch stacks and even the case and output shaft. I personally get sick of typing the same information over and over. yes everything but the dynax850 sucks " rotten monkey anus" do you feel better now?
Alan

much better thank you. my attitude is lovely. i have a bubbly personality and get along with everyone. have a nice day!:)

Dirtyd0g said:
Alan

much better thank you. my attitude is lovely. i have a bubbly personality and get along with everyone. have a nice day!:)

Dirtyd0g said:
Alan

much better actually. my attitude is great. i get along with everyone and have more friends than i have time. im not browsing through the forums for an hour looking for the last thread on the 02 and up tranny. the last time iyou said "read up on it" look into it' i spent a half hour googling and yahooing dynax 850 to learn not much of jack snot about the clutches themselves. now if you couldve taken 15 seconds to type a little info about them instead of saying "read up" it wouldve been a lot more considerate of you, alan. so no, im not going on a wild goosechase for the last post on updated trannies. if you have 15-30 seconds to type a few lines on what the advantages/ disadvantages are between them, and then maybe, just maybe if you can spare a few seconds more, explain what has to be swapped out for us to use the late trannies. that would be really cool of you alan. but if you dont have the time to help your fellow board members out just a little, then why even post? i try to come here when i have a few minutes to help out. ive been messing with these cars for 10 years and have done extensive work on the cars tranny related and otherwise. im willing to take a few seconds to type a reply i think may help a guy out. when i first came here years ago i found helpful information even though the SCCOA was in its infancy then. im just here to try to help anyone who may be like me, a poor honkey in need of some good free info. now, you know a whole lot about trannies and you make that clear with the knowledge you share in your posts. so share it bitch!:) :) :p :p :p

ps. its not a matter of think. sig material

Last edited:
Did you try looking up some of this information at www.tccoa.com as well ? I havent seen as much discussion here as they do there as the transmissions are more common for the later model vehicles ( 94 - 97 ) .. wheras we are sort of limited to the limited production of the 94/95 SC's with the 4r70w Auto.

There is alot of information on those forums too, and I know that Dirty dog posts technical information about the transmissions there also.

22lbsofboost said:
explain what has to be swapped out for us to use the late trannies.

Click here for a thread on this board. Click here for a thread from TCCOA. I swapped in a used low-mileage 2001 Mustang transmission on my 95. Though it's working fine now, I'm tempted to go ahead and do the swap on my 94 since I can get a good deal on a 2002 Mustang tranny. Pretty easy to do actually. If you've done motor mounts, you can do the transmission swap.

Well I have shared my information many many times, so don't act like I am not sharing. Check that link to tylers thread. I'll give you one guess as to who was behind the scenes on that one. The dynax 850 clutches are the OE clutches used by ford in all 98 up transmission and partially in earlier (96up) transmissions. Those frictions have grooves int hem to speed up apply and they are made of what is considered a high carbon or graphite clutch lining. They are not relined. I know you are a fan of the alto. let me explain what makes alto clutches so great. They start with cheap red paper that is cut extra thin so they can get more in there. Then they reline stock frictions with this cheap red paper and call it a performance clutch. Then put that together with really thin steels and they can make 8 frictions fit where only 7 fit before. I modify the drum to accept 8 frictions. Maybe I'd be a little more informative if you asked nicely.
Alan

dms825 said:
Click here for a thread on this board. Click here for a thread from TCCOA. I swapped in a used low-mileage 2001 Mustang transmission on my 95. Though it's working fine now, I'm tempted to go ahead and do the swap on my 94 since I can get a good deal on a 2002 Mustang tranny. Pretty easy to do actually. If you've done motor mounts, you can do the transmission swap.

really? i just did my motor mounts a month ago hmmmm... sounds tempting

Back