who puts 3.73 rear gears in a 90 5 speed?

kwikcoupe

well Ive had this car for about 6 years and put oh lets say 10k on it in that time. Ive been fighting the speedo trying to figure out why its so far off. I swapped the gears for both stock and 3.27 gears but nothing even close. Finally im at the emissions place and there computer syas 25 my gauge says 33 so Im like thats it it has to be the rear gears.

Im the third owner and the second being a good friend of mine told me everything he had done which was perfect maintanence so i figured it was something else. So I just put 18 inch arelli jovans on it and while its at les schwabs getting the alignment done I did the rear gear check that I found on here. Man it makes sence but I never would have of thought of it myself. Yep 1 full turn of the tire and 3 3/4 turns of the u joint. So now to the question.

Do most people do there gears themselves or have them done. Im pretty inclined to do the work and I have the tools Id think but the issue with dropping the tank and everything else?

Is it neccassary to buy the rebiuld kit or do I just need the pinion and gears? Thanks all oh and ill vouche for this as personal experience that 1st gear is worthless with these gears on a 5 speed. I usually start in 2nd no problems. Thanks Mike

Gears

Your best off
Swapping somone for a pumpkin with set of 327 gears out of an auto SC
And just switch them

I actually have one (If your interested)

really just swap the entire pumpkin? Is it more or less involved then doing the conversion? How many miles or condition would your setup be. My car has been very well taken care of and has 89k miles on it but is unknown when the swap was done. id say early in its life before 50k. It works and feels great has 1 clunk and man are those differential bushings bad. if you could enlighten me in this that would be great. Mike

Mine has roughly 76k On it

No known issues

Swaping the whole pumpkin over is prob easier then pulling the pumpkin and changing the gears and then Reinstalling

Drop me an email
Conan56@Aol.com

Whats first gear like? It literally has to be like a granny gear if you have 3:73's in that little 6.

OMG that first gear must net you what, 10 mph max. I totaly agree go with 327`s max and just swap out the pumpkin.

your real close actually 4500 rmp is roughly 20 mph. Its totally worthless but killer for smoke shows. Id highly recommend not using the 3.73 unless its a towing rig and since the sc isnt ment for towing i guess yep its garbage. My dads f350 1st gear feels just like mine just to sum it up.

Back