Performance

Scott Redd

I recently bought a 1990 with manual trans the car has already been lowered.

I want to increase horsepower and performance. Can anyone recommend what performance chip is best and what exhaust modifications would improve performance on a budget that can still be upgraded in the future?

Thank's

personally, I don't feel a chip is needed until you get into injectors/ MAFS or heavy mods and even then you can get an EEC Tuner for the price of a good chip (computer programmable chip, you can find people to write roms for it for like 25$, a chip costs 100+$ to reburn). The first thing to do is definately exhaust. Go for a 2.5" dual, 3/3.5" single setup. Its probably cheaper to have it run like stock (2.5" duals into a 3/3.5" single back to 2.5" duals after the gas tank). You can get ported exhaust manifolds from tbird88 for around 125$ 2.25" collectors. After exhaust, go for an overdrive pulley (about 60$) they are available in 5% or 10% sizes (If you go 10%, go for the 3.5" single exhaust section). Either size will put more wear on the SC as it makes it turn faster. If you have a high mile car, you may want to have the SC rebuilt to use a 10% pulley, for reliablity concerns.

Back