car still misfires

Merlon

i have checked so many things and i cant locate the actual problem of te misfire. It only happens if th engine has had time to wark up. when i have the fan running from the ac switch it doesnt misfire, unless under extreme loads,like steep incline for a few miles in traffic.

Anything i need to look at? today im off to purchase a 182 tstat. but why would the car misfire when wrmed up? i dont think its the fuel pump getting hot and shutting off, although i havent looked into it yet. any ideas? i only drive this around town so not to be too far from home, and its really a weekend car. Also need to check PS leak. after an oil change at a 76 its started a slow, to now more rapid leak.i didnt notice it as PS fluid, thought it was oil, becasue of the dirt, but when the pump made an ugly noise, i pulled it over found th problem, to little fluid. now it seems to leak right around the oil filter, any ideas? so dirty cannot find leak as of yet.

and how might i change the plugs? what technique?

Last edited:
can be ur DIS module.... when it heats up it starts to crap up.... probably the thermal paste underneath has gone south and probably fried up ur DIS MODULE.... the plugs are okay right? what kind of plugs u running? have u tried pulling out any codes? maybe the CEL fires but quite fast and u dont see.. but it stores the codes. try pulling the codes and letting us know what u find...

**COILPACK**
FRONT OF VEHICLE

**cylinder numbers**
3 6
2 5
1 4
front of vehicle...

i pulled the DIS

and had it checked out a week ago and it was fine. i bought heatsink, and used that. i dont know about the plugs, maybe some dielectric grease on the connectrions. i will try pulling the codes this weekend, but i think it may center around the DIS.

As for the 182 tsat, what gains come from that instead of a 192?

thing i need to do is make the car run cooler. i can install a fail safe tsat at 182. i can go drain and refill the radiator with 50/50 mix of ice water and water. but when its getting smogged they wont let me use the a/c fan to cool the engine, and it just idles for 10 minutes heating the thing up til it misfires. so i need to keep it cool . how can i accomplish this? an i am using motorcraft plugs

Last edited:
wait a minute... a heatsink? u know the only good heat sink is the stock location right... i think thats ur problem.... u fried ur DIS MODULE.. any pics..

no not like a computer heatsink

a silicon compound. not a fan, its a silicon white paste, i put it on the underside of the module, and placed it back where it came from. ill try and get you a pic

its the white stuff

all over, i know the pic quality sucks. the dis is fine, just checked not to long ago

Attachments

• heat001.jpg
    heat001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 73
  • heat002.jpg
    heat002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Like darkstar was saying, pulling the codes might be a good start.

One guess would be that the ECT sensor is bad (or the connection to it), but I don't know how likely that would be.

yes well

for some reason my car ran great for two days straight after i pulled the dis module out for an hour. what could this mean? coincidence?

Last edited:
Back