motor died

metanoiadude

i was driving home and my motor shut off. the tranny was still in gear and tach showed 0 rpm. i sat for about 2 min trying to start the car then suddenly the car started up again. is there any one who could help me with this b/c my sc is a daily driver and i need it to drive back and forth to work. any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
kevin

you more then likely have had the notorious crank sensor problem.just do a search for crank sensor and it will give you all the symptoms and how to replace it.

b/c my sc is a daily driver and i need it to drive back and forth to work.

hope you got some saved sick days :p
not sure how hard it is ti change a crank sensor thoe but my car has been a nightmare.

the crank sensor isn't a major job but it will take you about an hour to fix.a little tip when removing the sensor ,make sure the crank is rotated to where the gap is where the sensor is.good luck

I would be sure it is the crank sensor before going through all the trouble to change it.

Sounds more like a cam position sensor to me. You mentioned the tach dropping to 0 and said that you tried for a couple minutes and it started again.... Sounds like cam position sensor to me. Was the "upshift" light on while cranking the engine? If it was then, yes, it's the crank position sensor but if the upshift light was NOT lit while cranking then it (you guessed it...) "sounds like a cam position sensor to me." ;) :p

today

on the way to work today my car did about the same thing. so i pulled the spout plug just for sh!@s and no more problems. it could just be my car wanted to run fine at that time or it reset something. what else does the spout plug do besides dead set the timing. also i dont think the up shift light was on while starting.

thanks for the comments just far.

bump

same stuff as before today driving, shut off, tried to start, got upshift light, pulled spout plug, started up and ran fine. still need some answers what else runs through the spout plug besides the timing.

I think the spout plug provides the eec's timing control to the dis. when the spout is unplugged, there is no timing control and the dis just uses the fixed baseline timing (only for testing - it shouldn't be driven like that).

Could it have been just a coincidence that it started when you pulled the spout? If you have a bad cam position sensor, it'll only start (on average) 1 out of 3 times.

Back