Rearview Mirror

Chrismiss

What do you guys use to put your rearview mirror back on after you knock it off in frustration?:rolleyes: I tried some of the junk at AutoZone and it fell right off again.

Chrismiss said:
What do you guys use to put your rearview mirror back on after you knock it off in frustration?:rolleyes: I tried some of the junk at AutoZone and it fell right off again.

Hmmm, I've used the AutoZone rearview mirror glue in the past and had good luck. Of course, I don't deal with the Florida sun. Just be sure to follow the directions, this is one case that one drop of glue is definitely better than a bunch. And I wouldn't put the mirror back on the button for at least a day.

Yeah, don't put the mirror on until the glue has set up for the recommended curing time. Make sure you use alcohol to clean the area you are going to glue real good. The metal thing should stay there by itself after a few minutes, if not maybe use a piece of tape to help hold it on there for the first hour or two then it wont slide down the windshield leaving a slug/slime trail of glue :D Don't use a huge glob of it, a small drop will squish out so you want just enough to cover the metal thing.

Mine fell off drag racing when I was warming up my tires, and the wheel hop shook my car hard enough to make it fall off.

I've also used the Permatex or whatever brand is available at AutoZone and had good luck with it. I followed the instructions to a T and it worked fine. Failing that you can try taking it to a glass shop and having them reinstall it for you.

hmm i just use superglue I clean with laquer thinner. and put a drop on metal plate then push up to glass hold for few moments then thats it let it dry out for a couple of minutes and its done . mines going on three yrs now no problems. total cost 99 cents I already had the thinner.

ive tried the mirror glue it never hold for me . maybe just me .

Mirror Positioning TIP

BobGPz said:
Mine fell off drag racing when I was warming up my tires, and the wheel hop shook my car hard enough to make it fall off.
Done that twice myself!!!!!!

Here's a TIP for ya!!!! BEFORE you use that razor blade to take the old glue off, use 4 strips of masking tape on the OUTSIDE of the windshield to mark where the mirror is suppose to go. Once you take the glue off the inside & clean the glass, you can't tell where the mirror is suppose to go. But with the masking tape on the Outside of the glass, you'll be able to position the mirror correctly.

68COUGAR

damn good idea tape! hmm this is why i love this place real world usefull info.
good tip i for one thank you.

I've had the best luck with the adhesive product from NAPA. Cleanliness is everything, and use a minimal amount of adhesive. Also, I use a grease pencil to mark the glass on the outside - same idea as the tape.

JD

i never had a problem with that stuff from autozone not holding til i put my system in the car. I had to cure that problem with some real strong 2-part epoxy. Shakes alot but doesnt fall off anymore :)

Info

Thanks for the tips. it sucks not being able to see if there is a cop behind you before you do a burn out.:D

Up here in the great white north we have various auto glass companys,like speedy and standard auto glass that will do it free of charge.It might be worth looking into...

Great North?

tattoo said:
Up here in the great white north we have various auto glass companys,like speedy and standard auto glass that will do it free of charge.It might be worth looking into...
Does the "Great North" include Michigan?

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Done that twice myself!!!!!!

Here's a TIP for ya!!!! BEFORE you use that razor blade to take the old glue off, use 4 strips of masking tape on the OUTSIDE of the windshield to mark where the mirror is suppose to go. Once you take the glue off the inside & clean the glass, you can't tell where the mirror is suppose to go. But with the masking tape on the Outside of the glass, you'll be able to position the mirror correctly.

68COUGAR
I know exactly what you mean!!!!

We just went through this with out company truck. As previously posted, mark the spot where the mirror was on the outside of the glass and clean it off really good with a razor blade and laquer thinner. Place a small dot on the metal piece that holds the mirror on and then press it against the glass and hold it for about a minute. Then you can put some masking tape over the actual metal piece to keep it from moving and to keep some pressure on it. We let it cure for about 3 hours before putting the mirror on and it hasn't come off yet.

Back